Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mog
12-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #1

Moggies... is it ever right to breed them?

Ok, sparked by another thread. Is it ever right to breed moggies. If so, when and why is it right to do so.

From my point of view, there are very few reasons why it would be right to breed moggies, or indeed any cat of unknown parentage.

There are so many cats unwanted, in rescues and just on the streets - my own cat was given to me as his owner wanted a lizard instead.

So, what do you all think??

Em

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
12-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #2

Re: Moggies... is it ever right to breed them?

I'm not firmly on either side of the fence here. I feel it is fine to breed moggies if you are adhering to the same standards a pedigree breeder is expected to adhere to. Do you know enough about both parents to reasonably expect kits with good temperaments? Are you willing to screen potential owners rigorously, and to take back any kittens in the event that something goes wrong? That is, if all the kittens came back to you because things didn't work out with their owners, would you be willing and able to take them back in and keep them as your own or go through the process of rehoming them yourself? Unlikely worst-case scenario, but it's something you could need to do.

If any part of your plan involves giving them to a rescue if things don't go as planned, then no they should not be bred. And if you don't or can't control who the parents will be, you have even less business breeding them.

Now, some people here have litters from cats who arrived already pregnant. Terminating those pregnancies is an intensely personal choice I wouldn't fault anyone for. But initiating them without being as responsible about it as you'd expect from a breeder of the single most expensive pedigree breed... Why are the guidelines there? Are they there because pedigrees are more valuable than others? No. They're there because they should speak for themselves, but moggie breeding cannot be controlled - pedigree breeders can at least be made to face some sort of consequence for not acting responsibly.

Some people will take this to mean moggies have less rights to being born than pedigrees. I know that was my initial take on it, and my opinion on this continues to be formed as I learn more and more about cats of various breeds and non-breeds, and as I become more aware of the desperate situation rescues are in.

The issue is not that moggies have fewer rights to being born. The issue is that moggies have just as much of a right to a happy, healthy life being a happy, healthy cat as pedigrees do... But moggie breeding is harder to control. So we must do it ourselves and either breed responsibly in every detail or not breed at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
12-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #3

I'm not really for the purposeful breeding of moggies. I don't really see the need

I really detest those who purposefully kick the cat out when she's in call because they are too darned lazy to get the cat spayed and can't stand the noise of a cat in call knowing full well she's 99% gonna get caught and have kittens, that's just plain stupidity. I had a friend who did this and moaned everytime her cats had kittens

Accidental litters happen, eg cat escapes un-noticed out of the door, we've all seen it when the kids have inadvertantly left a door open or, in this weather, windows are open to let in some fresh air but even kittens from 'accidental' litters have their own individual right to a happy life.

It is then the owner's right to choose whether they terminate their cats pregnancy or not.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #4

I think - every cat a wanted cat, every kitten a wanted kitten - is a better maxim than no moggie kittens (Eugenics anyone? I couldn't happen anyway. If a 'law' like that came about it would be about law number 974 of such an authoritarian regime I wouldn't want to live in it.)
I'll come back with more later - sorry I don't have time to do a thoughtful post at the mo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #5

I cannot see the need for this at all. For several years I have worked voluntarily in a rescue centre and seen the hard and heart wrenching work involved in re-homing. In the Spring/Summer we are inundated with kittens. I think part of responsible ownership is to neuter. If you want a mog, you can get them in rescue centres, no need to breed your own. Obviously my comments on the pictures thread caused offence; this was not my intention but this is something I feel very strongly about. I really thought most of us here felt much the same, I was obviously wrong as so many of you oooed & ahhed over the photos. All the animal charities are pro neutering and apart from the obvious reasons there are also medical reasons why neutering is favourable as there are in dogs too. Accidents happen, sure, but if you neuter, then that insures they will not happen.

Catsey Veteran

12-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #6

If there were no moggie kittens bred there would be no moggies anywhere in 25 years time. I wouldn't be looking forward to picking up my babies next month, for their 20+ years of love.

It's just too draconian - like saying lets not allow any people to have babies, because some are neglected or treated badly.

I wholeheartedly agree that irresponsible/uncaring or financially inspired breeding of pets is to be discouraged whenever possible.

If this board 'flames' whenever moggie kittens are mentioned it will become like some of the dog forums, where well meaning but unsure people are made to feel like **** for asking a question. By all means use threads like these, or the 'to spay or not to spay' threads to spread the word about responsible pet ownership and the ongoing responsibility for any animals bred.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #7

[quote=dinahsmum]If there were no moggie kittens bred there would be no moggies anywhere in 25 years time. I wouldn't be looking forward to picking up my babies next month, for their 20+ years of love.

Do you honestly believe this will ever happen? - I don't.

I have no objections whatsoever to people asking questions about moggies, or discussing them either. I have 3 moggies myself and had many more before them (rescues). However, my point was by allowing the post it was in a way saying purposeful breeding of moggies is acceptable. This was my point. I didn't mean to cause offence, so sorry if you took any.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
12-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #8

I'm staying on my soap box partly for this one-but i'm with DM, would those who want every moggie speyed/neutered be hapy when there are no moggies then?

*Also..something i can't quite get my head around is when people voice their concerns over moggie litters and how the rescue shelters are bursting etc, when these people so often have pedigree cats. Surely if they care as much as they say they would go and adopt a moggie from the shelter?
And i know it isn't allways that simple to adopt a moggie from a shelter..due to various picky homing things, so what happens to those who want a moggie but CAN'T rescue one? They go catless?!?

*please note i am not reffering to any member of catpages in particular, merely an observation

Catsey Veteran

12-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #9

*Smiling at Luke* - wise beyond his years!

It is difficult when the 'community' of CatPages goes ballistic. I hate it. Don't mind a reasoned discussion though, and am happy to continue this or similar.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
12-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #10

I hate heated debates.. but i wanted to say how i feel.

I have a friend who has a shelter (where i got my Sophie from ), and i hear of her stories of over crowding, and having phonecalls from folk who's cat has had kittens and needs rid of them, or kittens found in the most amazing places...some you just know where put there in the hope of never being found ...and i find it heart wrenching. So i can fully understand why people who are in rescue are so passionate about nueturing. There will never be a risk of running out of moggies, because not everyone will get there cat done, and there will always be ferals who kittens are made tame.

If a person is responsible, and does their research into how to deal with a pregnant cat, how to care for newborn kittens, what to do if there are problems and has the finance to make sure those kittens and the mother are able to get all the necassary vet treatment, and also be able to make sure those kittens go to decent home, then i see no harm.

However, you then have the people who do it purely for financial gain, and will make a female have litter after litter...this i feel is irrisponsable, and should not be encouraged.

Personally, i would never breed any cat i had, as i have no knowledge of what to do, or the finance to care for the cat and kittens.

Closed Thread