Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
02-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #1

Pet insurance.

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I'm looking into pet insurance for Ninja (and any future cats). Can anyone recommend a good insurance company? I've looked at MoreThan but can't get a quote until I manage to wrangle Ninja into his carrier and take him to the vet's so we can decide on a reasonable DOB to give him.

I would like something that actually provides the proper coverage and doesn't cost horrendous amounts of money... But aren't we all?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #2

Re: Pet insurance.

I use E&L (Equine and Livestock). They do domestic pet insurance also. I pay about £5.50 per cat per month - and even though I've had some claims the premiums don't seem to go up drastically.

Also - they don't argue when you make a claim - I've heard some horror stories about some of the 'mainstream' insurers that have only recently got into pet insurance who wriggle like the devil when it comes to paying out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #3

I use Tescos insurance but have never needed to use them so cannot comment on their service if a claim is put in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #4

I use Petplan for my dogs and puppies. Very good, don't quibble paying out and will pay to vets direct so you don't have to stump any money up except the excess. However, they are pretty expensive. I think the premium for cats is £8.40 per month but they do have a cover for life policy.

The Siamese breeder who I am in contact with uses E & L like Yola. She thinks they are very good value for money and I think they have a cover for life policy (but not entirely sure on this)

Your Cat magazine (January 2006) had a buyers guide to insurance. E & L were not mentioned Marks and Spencer got their best buy award. Premiums £6.47 per month with the life cover....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
02-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #5

I use Petplan life policy.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
03-02-2006, 01:41 AM   #6

Thanks a lot guys!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran

The Siamese breeder who I am in contact with uses E & L like Yola. She thinks they are very good value for money and I think they have a cover for life policy (but not entirely sure on this)
They do have a 'for life' policy - however it does get modified slightly when cats reach 8 years of age. But not as much as I thought they would.

Good luck in your search Snoof . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #8

This insurance question is interesting, and one I'm thinking about quite deeply at present.
I think the cheapest one could expect is £5-6 per month. Let's say 5 for easy reckoning. Let's hope puss lives to 20 years. You will pay £1200 in insurance over his lifetime.
Insurance does not pay for the routine vacs and check ups. Every company has an excess - about £30 now? - so it won't be worthwhile for run of the mill ailments like ear mites or a simple abcess.
Either cover stops or the premiums rocket as the cat ages - the time it's likely to need care/treatment.
Of course it will cover major conditions or accidents.
But I wouldn't dream of putting a cat through some of the huge operations/treatments we've seen on the vet programmes. Sadly, I would opt for euthanasia.
I would try to mend a cats bones if it was in an accident.

I think that, when I get my babies, I will insure them for a couple of years, so that I can establish they are healthy, then just bear the risk myself.

I'm kind of doing that with Dinah (pup+ now aged 19 months) She's with Pet Plan - expensive @ £16 pm but guaranteed to give cover for life for any condition. As she moves into her third year, and demonstrates that she is indeed a healthy girl, with no problems which she was born with, I think I will move onto a much cheaper company, which will adequately cover her for unexpected illness or accident.

Just my thoughts

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #9

DM we are a pair aren't we I do thesame thing, the cats have never been insured - why because it wasn't the done thing back 20+ years ago was it???? or did I miss it
And if you work it out like you have then they have been vaccinated, spayed and neutured - which insurance wouldn't pay anyhow. Cleo has had no illnesss's but had her teeth cleaned - which insurance doesn;t pay for, then this cyst removed cost £109.27 which included the "well pet" blood test and the test for the lump for cancer remeoval of stitches, and post op antibitoics. So I would in 23 years paid at a £5, £1380 to claim back "109.27 (for which I would have been deducted the excess of say £20)

Same almost with Oscar, slight cost involved when he's had fights - antibiotics to prevent absess's but I soon learnt to clean bites in salt water Then his diagnosis for CRF about £80 then nothing more as he was healthy apart from that, then his arthritis steriod jabs. But nothing other than that say he cost me £300-£350 in 23 years not bad.

But the dogs different matter they have been insured by PetPlan but now Sal is coming into her 4th year when she's spayed in the summer and Tess coming into her 2nd year and spayed in the summer, I will not renew this year and think of taking something cheaper if at all. AsI figure putting the money in a building society for them every month is the same thing.

Karen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #10

I don't have Pet Insurance for Cassie but I do put money away each month in case some emergency comes up for her.....