Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
31-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #1

Back to the Vets today - Adverse reaction :(

Treated all the cats yesterday on a preventative basis with Frontline. When Misty walked past me this morning, did a double take, there was a bald spot about size of 50p piece where I had applied the frontline and she kept sitting down to scratch and lick the area. By lunch time she had started to twitch. Phoned the vet and they advised an allergic reaction to the frontline and to bring her in as she would need an injection to counteract it By time we got to the vet her whole body was twitching and she had torn more hair out

Tim has also had a reaction but not so severe. The vet said that some cats do have reactions to spot on frontline.

She is still twitching a bit tonight & nibbling/licking the area despite the vet saying the injection would work right away so will have to see how she is in the morning.

Has anyone else come across this sort of adverse reaction with a spot on preventative?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
31-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

Re: Back to the Vets today - Adverse reaction :(

Sorry to hear poor Misty is suffering, along with Tim, poor angels. If I remember rightly Tim had a bit of a reaction to his last innoculation too didn't he, poor boy! Makes you wonder the company's not making it stronger due to the fleas becoming resistant..

No I haven't, but personally I don't use Frontline anymore, and we've not missed the stuff! I don't believe the chemicals were doing my cats that good, cat's bodies are not good with chemicals, and my little Mitzi's generally chemical intolerant. I didn't think there was an alternative but I now use THORNIT to keep the fleas at bay, so far it really seems to be working! (Sorry, this sounds like a cheesey advert' but it's not). It's not classed as a flea treatment and you won't get it at any vets, they just don't sell it; it's a much more naturally based miticide treatment, originally used to help treat ear mites. It comes in a jar of yellow powder. All you need is a pinch every now and then in the palm of your hand, I then rub my hands together to spread the powder, then go up to one of my cats and gently run my hands all in and through their fur, tummy, under belly, legs, the lot! It has a fresh antisepticy smell,..it seems to be a general insecticide, I had an ants nest near my front door, I did the same rubbing my hands trick onto the paving, no ants since!
I also vacuum my rugs more than I used to which may help I don't know, and I've always used a flea comb on them, so far just one flea found between the 2 of them!

I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has tried the Thornit route on the keeping the flea situation at bay.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #3

So sorry to hear about Misty and Tim's reaction to Frontline Velvet. I hope they are both OK very soon. I haven't used Frontline for a few years now, my vet doesn't recommend it and certainly in this area it is not effective against fleas. Over time fleas must become resistant to certain chemicals, although this may be localised resistance and things may well be different where you live.

We used Advocate and so far, I've not noticed any reactions in Kizzy, Pip or Monty. Kizzy once had a small reaction to Advantage - but it was a topical reaction where she had a bald patch. She was prescribed some cream and her fur soon grew back.

Truth, I've never heard of Thornit - I'll be interested to hear if others have used it.

Monty (dog) now wears a Seresto collar which gives up to 8 months protection against ticks and fleas - we have a huge tick problem and he suffered badly last year. I guess because he has the collar, the chemical must help protect the cats too and I haven't seen a flea since ..... fingers crossed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
31-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #4

Did a bit of digging and came across this -

What is the active ingredient of FRONTLINE and what type of compound is it? FRONTLINE contains fipronil, which is the first of a totally new family of molecules called the phenylpyrazoles. (It is not an organophosphorus compound).

So then i looked up "Phenylpyrazoles". Which put simply is a Pesticide. Im horrified that our pets are being treated with Pesticides. If someone had said to me -

"heres some pesticide, stick some on your dog/cat & it will prevent fleas - no way would i use it

The vet did mention Advocate so thats reassuring Angie to hear it appears to have no problems. I will still
Be very wary where Timmy & Misty are concerned

Yes Angie both Timmy & Misty have problems with vaccinations

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
31-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #5

We once had a cat who had this sort of reaction to flea control, unfortunately she was also allergic to flea bites so we ended up rather paranoid about keeping the beasties at bay. Midge had to have a steroid injection on more than one occasion but even so she ended up with a little patch on the back of her neck which was permanently scarred from scratching and making herself bleed. Luckily she was semi-longhaired so the little bald bit wasn't really noticeable.

We use Thornits regularly on the dog's ears, I've never heard of it being used for flea control though. This product is well-known among cocker spaniel owners (it used to be known as "canker powder") as spaniels can be prone to ear problems due to the ear flap hindering air-flow perhaps. Just a pinch at the entrance to the ear (not down the ear-hole) somehow keeps the ear clear of muck, free of infection and ear mites too. Wonderful stuff, lovely medicinal, antiseptic smell and very cheap!

I hope Misty is soon feeling better, Midge used to twitch like that and howl too until the irritation settled down.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

Velvet - I think all products that protect animals from fleas contain insecticide/pesticide of some sort. Just like the stuff we might use in our house if we are unlucky enough to get the little ******s in the home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
31-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

OMG!!! I have just posted the same thing!! it must be the front line, Denis hasnt however had any twitching or itching so I am greatful for that but has a bald patch....I wouldnt mind he NEVER gets fleas so I dont know why I use it to be honest and I dont think I will be doing from now on either especially now I know whats in it!!

I hope yours are ok Velvet and recover well from the reaction they have had. Why dont vets say 'oh by the way this can cause an allergic reaction, bring them back if you see these symtoms??' mine didnt and he is a good vet!