Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Mindy to the vets today

Had to take Mindy to the vets today, at first had thought the two little lumps I felt on her neck were nips from Misty when they were playing roughly, couldn't really see anything when I parted the hair and she didn't like me working at them. Then last night she had scratched one as I thought and it had bled. Made appt to see Vet this afternoon. It came to me as I was putting Mindy into the car, the thought that could it be hot spots, the dogs have had hot spots. As it happens I was right. Vet cleared away the area. She got a long lasting antibiotic injection and anti inflammatory injection.

The vet said the usual reason for hot spots in cats was fleas - eek. So poor Mindy was subjected to a thorough combing with a fine tooth comb - vet was a bit disappointed that her coat was as clean as a whistle. I check the dogs and cats regularly, at least 3/4 times a week, second nature to me. We needed frontline anyway so came home with a packet of it. The animals are done routinely, so really none the wiser for the cause of the dreaded hotspots

So has anyone any thoughts or anyone ever had a cat that had them?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
28-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #2

Re: Mindy to the vets today

sorry Helen, never come across them. Is it possible they are some other insect bites

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

No, me neither. Last year Pip had a nasty place on his neck but it was where a tick had fallen off. Pip had antibiotics too and made a complete recovery.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
29-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

To add to that, midges, heaven forbid, a bed bug; all sorts of creepy-crawlies can hatch in this warm weather, you never can tell!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #5

I wondered about midges, if I were to go out in the garden after 6-7pm these nights they would eat me alive so maybe she is susceptible to insect bites and I wonder maybe is she a cat that could be prone to allergies.

I have noticed when she comes in from her run, she will sometimes chew at her feet the same as the dogs do - they are allergic to the grass in the growing season