Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
19-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

hearing

How can you tell if a cat if deaf or hard of hearing or just ignoring you? Everytime we call on Harris he doesnt seem to hear us (or is he just ignoring us?) OH has thought for a while that harris cant hear properly. Is there anything we can do to try? Or does everyone elses feline friends disply selective deafness?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #2

Re: hearing

Well cats will be cats as you know Pamela! I would suggest if you have Harris on your lap and he is relaxed, just click your fingernails together a short distance from his ear, if he turns his head then presumably he's heard. Try again on the other ear ..... try lengthening the distance between his ear and your fingers. I think this should give a good indication of whether he can hear - of course it doesn't take volume or pitch into account but it may be something to base whether or not you decide to take him to see the vet.

Catsey Veteran

19-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Thanks angie, i think Harris is just ignoring us just harris being harris but H has been convinced for ages that he is deaf!! He also thinks that his constant noise making is because he cant hear!! I agree with you but will try the test out to see and hopefully convince OH that harris is fine!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
19-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

pip constantly makes noises and he can hear fine, he also has his moments where he chooses to ignore us! prob just two peas in a pod!!

Catsey Veteran

19-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

haha more than likely lynz!!!