Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggies
15-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Imminent birth...advice please

Hello lovely Catsey people

Sorry that my first post is a request for help, but it's a bit urgent.

I am looking after a friend's house while she's in the UK this week, and her neighbour's cat has taken up residence in her shed. She is very pregnant, and looks like she intends to give birth in a wine box in their shed. I don't want to take her back to the owners, as I know they'll drown the kittens.

So I am looking for any advice and tips on how to help Gaia before, during and after the birth. I have never had a female cat before, let alone assist with kittening, so assume I know nothing!

Thanks in advance.
Deb

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #2

Re: Imminent birth...advice please

Hello Deb, sounds like mum has already chosen her spot, and if it's secure enough I would leave her be atm tbh. Try and make it as cosy as possible for her ie any draughts plugged up etc. Gaia should manage well enough on her own, I'm guessing it's prob not her first birth! Make sure she has plenty of water and food, preferrably kitten food (moist), something to give her lots of energy. If you can, put some newspaper down in the box with an old towel over the top, something easily discarded. And really, just keep an eye on her HTH, and let us know how she gets on.

16-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Thanks Alexgirl. I'm just off to see her and take her some more food. I'll let you know if there's any news.

You're right, it's not her first litter sadly. I'll be back in a couple of weeks asking for advice about when she can get spayed, and views on the morality of spaying someone else's cat!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

Bless you for looking after Gaia, Deb. I can't advise on kittening as I've not been in a position to have to do so, but I do hope all goes well.

Many of us here have strong views on neutering animals and I'm sure you'll receive many replies to your dilemma, both passionate and practical.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

Hi Deb - Alexgirl's advice is spot on. Sounds as if Gaia has chosen a safer place to have her kittens. Cats are brilliant mothers and if she is feels safe she should manage it all on her own. Food and water for herself is all she will need to start with.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Hi Deb, just wanted to thank you for caring for this poor puss and her babies. Is it at all possible to make this girl disapear with her kittens, preferably to someone who will have her best interests at heart as well as the kittens?

16-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

No kittens yet...can't believe how big Gaia is, but she's still waddling around in the sunshine.

Thanks for your support. We are determined to get Gaia spayed, and maybe rehomed. Ironically her owners are cat lovers, but just don't see the problem with letting her have kittens every year....most of which end up down the well.

Anyway, first things first...I'll keep giving her food and water and hope she knows what to do!

17-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #8

Still no kittens. I can't believe she can get any bigger. She is eating twice as much as my two hungry boys put together.

I can't stand the tension.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #9

Oh the poor cat ..... she'll probably have them during the night and you'll find mum and kittens all snuggled up in the morning! Does she have an old blanket if it gets cold at night?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #10

Her owners can't be cat lovers if they throw her Kittens down the well.