Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

More about Fifi

What a worry this old girl is

Over the last few weeks we've noticed a gradual weakness in Fifi's back legs, especially her right one. This culminated 10 days ago in her back legs giving way almost completely so they are sliding out from beneath her and at times she can't sustain her body weight and has to tip over onto her side

This has been distressing to watch so we have checked it out with the vet. First thought was that her blood pressure meds were causing the pressure to drop too far. Having had that happen once to me (during c-section) I can vouch for the disorientation it causes. So we stopped the meds for a week. No change.

Next was a full blood test earlier this week which showed a potassium deficiency, and little else. So we now have huge supplement tabs to give her twice each day. They're way too big for her to swallow so I have to powder them with some of her cat milk and syringe it.

There seems to be an overall improvement in her demeanour however, she's still extremely unstable on her back legs.

I will revisit vet early next week but we are faced with a £2k MRI scan option which also means a long car journey and a general anaesthetic. Having discussed this with her though she knows I'm not keen so we will probably consider steriods which vet thinks might help.

I'd like to thank Shelley for her reassuring advice yesterday during the quiz, and it really helps to know that she'd experienced potassium deficiency problems AND weak back legs problems with her cat too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
27-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Re: More about Fifi

Yola it's still early days, you never know the tablets may just do the trick. How old if Fifi ?
I remembered later that Jerry was kept in the vets for a few days until he regained the use of his legs. The vets seemed a bit sceptical at first and when they tested his reflexes they said they weren't cat like at all, in fact they were hardly there. I remember the large tablets, i think we disolved them in water and syringed them into him.
as i said last night the improvement was realy good although Jerry and his brothers have had weak hind legs which gradualy got worse over the years. That being said he manages ok.
I hope you see some more improvement soon with Fifi

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #3

I do hope that Fifi improves with the supplement Yola. This forum is wonderful for the support and hope it can give when others have had similar experiences with their cats. And it is good to air the problems with people who care and who may have helpful knowledge.

Your little Fifi is a fighter - I do send healing vibes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
27-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Nothing I can really add Yola, just sending lots of healing vibes for the Lovely Fifi x

Global Moderator

27-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

I hope you will see some improvement with Fifi soon, Yola ...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
28-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #6

I hope Fifi improves Yola, Bronwyn had an MRI scan and I know how expensive that can be

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #7

Hugs from us xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #8

It's not looking good. Final vet visit at 9.30 tomorrow, if she hangs on til then

Global Moderator

29-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #9

Thinking of you all, Yola ...x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
29-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

thinking of you Yola xxxxxxx