Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
15-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #31

Re: amputation

Your in shock!
Obviously it was going to be a big shock seeing her looking different & wounds always look worse than they really are.... please don't feel guilty or bad about what you have done, lots of people wouldn't have given it the thought you have, some people would have gone down the PTS route, just to avoid the expense...You have done what's right for your cat & it's ok to cry, but don't be sad for Tia, she's not sad... she's purring & washing herself...
I think it would be good to take photos, so you can look back at them in time...but if you don't want to, then don't.

{{hugs}}

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #32

You have made the right decision for Tia, you have given her a life without pain again ....... she may feel a wee uncomfortable at the moment but she is free from that never ending pain that she had. She is happy with you that you have helped to get rid of that pain. Feel happy for her now, when you have got over your shock you will be able to notice how much more comfortable she is....

((((Hugs)))) to you and your children ......... and a gentle scritch for Tia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #33

It's an awful time for you and your family, you need time to adjust. Tia will / has adjusted a lot quicker than you. All she will know now is that the pain has gone and she will adapt to life very well. Once the wound has healed and the fur has grown back and you see how happy Tia is you will not look back and will be full of postive advice for anyone else faced with the same decisions.

Well done for giving Tia this chance of a very happy, fufilled life. {{{Hugs}}} to all of you x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
15-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #34

Hi Just caught up with this thread, Tia will adjust & cope so will you in time, the fur will grow back & it will all look lovely again. Cats get better very quickly when you take their pain away & they only look forward never back. here is Chad who is missing a back leg & his tail, he has a very happy life, I know Tia is a front leg but she will adapt it justs takes a few days to get the balance right then there is no stopping them !

X K

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #35

Aaaww, Chad is gorgeous Kathryn!

Cats owned: Domestic S/H
15-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #36

Haven't had any experience with cat amputee, but have a dog with front leg amputated and until last March had a dog with back leg amputated (both rescues - nothing I did I promise!). All I can say is that Sadie (front leg) runs, hunts, jumps, swims and plays. You find that after a few weeks they place the remaining front leg in the centre for balance, and once they've got used to doing that, they are away! I would imagine that a cat, being more lithe and agile than a dog, would probably be even better at coping. One thing to add - keep her weight down, underweight is better than overweight with amputees. Best of luck to you and Tia.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #37

I can't add a single word to all the good advice you've been given...hugs to you and your little girl and a gentle pat to Tia!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
15-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #38

thankyou under weight at the mo is no problem!she looks awfull i could see today as she had been away over night just how thin she has gotten espec compared to lena who is like a bear in the winter.the dog has said hello and tia purred other cats havent really come near yet.plenty of purs and callls from tia!she is asleep again now.i took some pics but u cant really see how bad it is on them.its the stump that got me i wasnt expecting that i think i was expecting it from the shoulder,and she has been clipped badlynicked her skin so that is all raw too.the ketofen knocks her out bless

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #39

In a couple of weeks when the fur grows back, you'll barely notice anything different about her at all, as smudgley said, it's the shock!! ((hugs))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
16-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #40

How is Tia today???