Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #11

Re: amputation

Lots of advice and instances of cats in similar situations already given, I hope it's of some help to you....

The important thing is to get Tia free from her pain and if the only way is to amputate then so be it for her sake... with advice from your vet you will be able to make the right decision I'm sure and Tia will soon adapt.

I feel sure your daughter will understand too if she knows how much Tia's leg is hurting ...... and by losing it, it will make Tia a lot happier and playful.....

Good luck with your decision, cuddles for Tia and ((((hugs)))) for you.....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
13-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #12

thankyou everybody for your thoughts and advice strangely tia is quite bright today and shouting at me as normal but tomorrow will be the teller when the vets checks her foot,i have almost resigned myself to the fact she may be losing the leg and have cried buckets!i just want her to free from pain and on the mend whichever way it goes,but i do know more months like this and she will be an ill cat.iver just to hoover my bed b4 i can get in!she been sleeping on it for 2 hours and it is plastered in fur!at this rate she wont have any left to lose!!fingers crossed for tomorrow for Tia and heaps of tissues ready incase i need them for my daughter (and me!)who i know will be devastated if it happens. thankyou again!i will update tomorrow!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #13

Have everything crossed for you at the vets tomorrow ........ whatever the decision, I feel sure it will be right for Tia....

Good luck to you and you're daughter ..... ((((hugs)))) to you both...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #14

I'm glad Tia seems a little brighter today. Good luck at the vets tomorrow, I will be thinking of you and hoping you have the strength to make whatever decisions are necessary for Tia.

Do let us know how tomorrow goes x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #15

Will be thinking of you and Tia tomorow at the vets; hope all goes well..hugs to you, Tia and your little girl...xxxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
14-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #16

Wishing you lots of luck for today's vet visit . . . please do let us know how you and Tia get on. Will be hoping that all is OK.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
14-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #17

Good luck today, hope everything turns out ok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
14-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #18

good luck for today, cats can cope really well with just 3 legs. my brothers gf's mum has got a cat that had to have her front leg amputated. she's just like anyother cat now. and i saw a cat run across the road the other day with one of its back legs amputated and that ran really fast!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
14-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #19

hi all,well the vet rang me at 1pm today asking permission to remove the leg she said it was very bad and smelling.she has to stay in at least overnight as she has has morphine i rang at 6 and they said she was sitting up had eaten tea and was having a wash,so hopefully if she has a good night now she can come home tomorrow???the vet herself has a cat with a front leg removed and he even climbs trees!i told my daughter i softened the blow with mcdonalds!,i have talked about animals wiv 3 legs the last couple of days.she cried but not as bad as i expected,she understands that she was miserable and it wasnt getting better,she is just glad she is alive!!!a few people have siad to me though(which shocked me)that it is cruel to keep her with 3 legs and they would put her to sleep!!made me doubt myself a little but i know it would have been a waste of a life she will have.as long as she can get outside i know she will be happy!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
14-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #20

Sorry to hear about that, but I am sure you will find that she copes very well without her leg and you will find that you have shed more tears than you need to.

I have been around the cats forums (quite a few) for a long time and I have never heard of a cat that doesn't cope extremely well with only three legs.

I think your cat is about to amaze you with what she can do