Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggie
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #1

Poorly 12 year old.

Hope someone can give me some advice.Willow is a 12 year old medium haired tabby. He has always been fed Royal Canine with the occasional bit of ham etc. Over the last 7 days he has lost weight and vomits up his food. He used his litter tray last night and there was blood in the stool. Vet tomorrow BUT, do I let them do loads of tests on him which I know they will and then they will say we will try this treatment and then another to see if any meds work or bite the bullet. There is no way I will let him suffer. Hope someone can help. Many thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
05-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #2

Re: Poorly 12 year old.

The first thing that comes to mind is hyperthyroidism or possibly a form of IBD- are his stools loose. He is not a very old cat at 12, and there are lots of illnesses that can show these symptoms- the first thing I would get done are general bloods and a thyroid test, this will give you a pretty good idea of his condition and can help point towards a diagnosis.

05-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

Thanks Farthing, yes his stools are loose.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

Sorry your cat is poorly. Sound advice from Farthing and it's exactly the route I'd go down.
Which ever the condition, these things can be managed with diet and meds.
Please let us know what the vet says.

05-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #5

Yes will do. Thanks for advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #6

Sorry to hear Willow is poorly. Do let us know how he gets on at the vet. I know you don't want him to suffer but don't give up on him yet.

05-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #7

No I won't give up on him.Love him to bits.He was a rescue cat and we've had him 9 years.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

It can be scarey when you're cat becomes sick, but once you can put a name to what's ailing him, you can work with it to help him. Stick in, you'll all be fine xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #9

Blood in stools can be for various reasons, not all of them serious. 12 isn't really old for a cat! We recently got a 6 year old rescue cat and his stools were really runny & bloody, he is now on Royal Canin gastro intestinal diet and is very much better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #10

I have to agree with Farthing, a screening blood test is non-invasive (although some cats would strongly disgree which should be able to give your vet some pointers as to what's going on with Willow. It may be worth taking a faecal sample in with you if you are able as it will give a slightly bigger picture.
Please let us know how you and Willow get on.
Lx