Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #1

Recycling

I think we must be one of the last towns to operate the recycling system .......it's been in operation here for about 6 weeks now. I must say I am not very impressed with it!

The paper is collected ok, the glass and tin is also collected ok ......but the food waste and cardboard collection is ridiculous. Someone comes down the road with a large wheelie bin into which goes both the food waste and the cardboard!
What is the point of the council telling people to separate everything?!

Also the state of the brown food bins leaves a lot to be desired!

What is it like in your area?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #2

Re: Recycling

Of course this is over here, but: we've4 been recycling for 10 years or so, & it's very good! We have a large blue wheelie bin for cardboard, newspapers, magazines, other paper, tins, glass, and plastic bottles...somehow at the recycling center it's all sorted out into the proper categories. We don't do food waste, that goes in the big green wheelie with other non-recycleable stuff. It's picked up every Friday, Saturdays if there has been a holiday in the week. The plastic bags that you get from the market and the newspaper sleeves don't go in the municipal recycling, those are deposited in bins in all the markets. Now you know mare than you wanted t know bout recycling in Washington I'm a great believer in it; pick up beer cans and botttes that louts leave lying around after a party weekend and pop therm in my bin!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #3

Sounds like you have a far better recycling system than we have here Eileen!

I reckon you could teach our local councils a thing or two!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #4

It took a while to get it sorted out properly...when it first started they had a contractor picking it up they were awful!! Kept missing collections, etc. Then the City took over and it's been fine for years. Do hope your lot get it sorted out properly soon!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
29-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #5

Where I live I have a large brown wheelie bin for garden waste or anything that can be used to make compost. It is then used in all our local parks etc.

We have a separate paper/tin/glass box for all that stuff and it is collected every two weeks.

Seems to work ok, and I admit I could do more, but do not have the room to store all the different containers for different recycling stuff.