Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
01-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #1

Some ideas please

My kitchen hasn't been decorated in nearly 5 years. Hubby hacked off the old tiles and stripped the paper off when we moved in and hasn't anything since.

Hubby wants to tile the lot from work top to ceiling but I don't want that many tiles. Around the window recess the plaster isn't great so hubby wants to tile around the recess to cover it up, hence tiles from worktop to ceiling.

Anybody got any other ideas as to what can be done to cover up the plaster besides tiling over it? Oh and as cheaply as possible

The worst bit is at the top of the large window recess.

Can get photos if it'll help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #2

Re: Some ideas please

I think tiles are very nice actually. Always smart and clean and they only need any work at the very end of their (fashion) lifespan, which could be years and years and years.
If you think it will look too much like the fishmonger's, how about breaking up large expanses of tiling with pictures, bookshelves for your cookery books, open shelves for your nick-nacks? Is there space for wall hung cupboards? ..... you can never have too much cupboard space in your kitchen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #3

Personally, I don't like tiles, I have worktop-to-ceiling cheapo white tiles in my kitchen and I hate them - can't wait until we can re-do the kitchen!!! What about tongue and groove wood? This can be painted with a water-resistant or at least water-resilient paint for easy cleaning. It presents a nice, country-kitchen feel or conversely can work very well with a modern, sleek kitchen.

Alternatives are stainless steel panels or glass panels but these can work out a bit pricey.

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
What about tongue and groove wood? This can be painted with a water-resistant or at least water-resilient paint for easy cleaning. It presents a nice, country-kitchen feel or conversely can work very well with a modern, sleek kitchen..
That's a nice idea Yola - sort of New England look. Teams well with gingham etc fabrics, which are cheap and easy to find and always look fresh.

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #5

Yes - and you can just easily repaint for a completely new look rather than hacking off and re-tiling!!

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #6

That's that sorted nice and quickly then!
What colour shall we choose for Nae?

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #7

Ohhh - I would say a lovely country cream - rich and warm but without too much yellow in to darken it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
01-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #8

ooo now I like the sound of the tongue and groove.

Unfortunately Hilary we had to take the wall cupboards down cos I couldn't reach them Was having to stand on a chair to reach the top shelves

The cream sounds nice. Keep the ideas coming girls and in the meantime I'll get piccies of my kitchen sorted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #9

I say tongue and groove too an it hides a multitude of mishaps and easy to put up too. I think maybe a paleblue wall and the others cream prope new england. Paint with a kitchen and bathroom paint and you are sorted. Keeps condensation etc down.

Catsey Veteran

01-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #10

What other website has such a breadth of subjects and people happy to offer advice (or be brave/open enough to seek it)?
Way to go Catsey!