Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
07-02-2006, 02:52 AM   #1

What do I do??? your advice please.

I guess I know in my heart of hearts but........................... Since that vomiting bug I had last Tuesday my back has been playing up big time.
What do I do. Go to the doc? Yip probably a good idea. He will either put me on liquid morphine (dont think so this time) or send me into hospital for pain relief. I cant go into hospital, not with all that has been going on here. Apart from that laying in bed is the worst thing you can do for back complaint's.
Right to sound like a right old crock, what's wrong with my back???
I had a disc removed nearly 5 years ago.
I have arthritis
I have degenerative disc desease
I also have a disc out directly above the one removed, the surgeons will only operate if I become incontenent
I have nerve damage................Not much then
It's 1.51am I'm in tears, pathetic eh? cant get comfy, can hardly walk someone put me down!!!!!
No dont but what would you do???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
07-02-2006, 04:05 AM   #2

Re: What do I do??? your advice please.

sorry i Jac i dont know what to say but i hope you can get something sorted as it is not right to be in that much pain.

if it was me i would go to the doc but like u i cant take morphine it makes me itch like mad. so maybe a few days in hospital maybe a good idea

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #3

Oh! Jac, wish someone could make you better, surely the doc can offer more than a stay in hospital!!Just take it easy and do nothing!!You do too much, let that family of yours take over for a while, just sit back and enjoy the rest!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #4

Oh Jac, I am so sorry, that sounds awful not to mention painful. Sorry i have no usefull suggestions but my thoughts and well wishes are with you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #5

Poor Jac

Try and find a way of easing the pain and then you can think about the future.

Have you tried a Tens machine? It helped when I had a frozen shoulder.
Have you thought of acupuncture - ditto above.
Neither 'cures' but can help you ease back into a bit of normality and get into a 'virtuous cycle' and out of this vicious circle.
Treat yourself to a gentle aromatherapy back, neck and shoulder massage, to help you relax.

Longer term, and if you don't fancy what the doctors are offering (don't blame you there) if it was me, I'd look for 'something else'.

I would find a really good, well trained, Pilates teacher. Pileates is very gentle anyway but it helps you strengthen your 'inner core' - all the strong muscles around your abdomen. The stronger they are, they act like a living corset and support your spine.

You might like to investigate Bowen therapy. I don't know very much about it, haven't spoken to anyone who has used it, but apparently it can help some people. here's a link if you want to pursue it http://www.bowentherapy.fsnet.co.uk/

Take care - it can be better and it will if you believe it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
07-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #6

Hi DH
Iv'e had acupuncture but they gave up after 6 sessions. It made me really weepy. I cryed constantly. Seemingly it is a side effect but doesnt happen very often. I also had a tens machine, it was good while it was on but the moment I took it off I was back to square one. Then the nerve damage got so bad that it drove me up the wall . I also tryed reki which was good but the girl gave up as she was having a baby. I just never got round to finding someone else. Aroma therepy also helped for a little bit. I used to find a gentle work out at the local gym helped but now it only agrivates things.
Iv'e had a quick look at the link you put up and it looks good. I'll look into it in length, thanks.
I'm going to go to the doc tomorrow if it doesnt improve any but I'm not going into hospital.
Talk later and thank you for all your kind words. Jac xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #7

Good luck
This lady looks nice http://www.medicalternative.com/section43.html - and reasonable!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
07-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #8

Sorry to hear of your back trouble Jac. Cant offer any advice as such as I have never had to deal with it. But I would go to the doctor and see if you can get a stronger painkiller that you are not allergic to.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #9

So sorry to hear you are in so much pain Jac, I wish there was something I could suggest to help you. I think going to the doc would be the first step and tell him what you you don't want, he may be able to come up with alternative suggestions for you.
Does heat in your back help ease the pain at all? Above all, make sure you don't overdo things, it sounds like your are doing too much when you have a condition like that. While you do everything, your family are going to let you get on with it. Ease up a bit Jac and ask for a bit of help from them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
07-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #10

jac
hope you are doing better son. the worst i've had wrong withmy back is sciatica, and that was murder! i kept walking bent over, couldnt straighten up, hadda get hubby to physically make me stand striaght, then after walking a few paces i'd start to stoop again, and so on....
get it about 2-3 times a year.
thats bad enough, without all probs you got.
hope soemthing gerts sorted