Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthair
16-06-2015, 02:06 AM   #1

Urgent advice needed

Basically one of my 18 year old cats Brandi was hit by a car yesterday. I only found out today and rushed to the vets to see him.
He is stable but still critical.
This is the information etc so far
He is 18 years old and his kidneys are not working well
He is slowly loosing his sight
From the x-rays they think part of his pelvis (the bit that holds his back left leg in place) has snapped off.
He still isn't going to the toilet.

They need to do another x-ray to confirm the leg damage. And the vet is going to ring me again first thing in the morning.

My options will be metal plates and screws to put his leg back together.
Remove his leg
Have him pts

(there may be other options etc depending on the outcome of more tests and xrays etc)

But like the vet said today. With the first 2 courses of action I have to think about is it worth putting him through any if them and how much time will I actually be buying him.
(he was run over because people who use the shop opposite me feed him and this is making him cross the road. And before anyone says anything yes I have done everything I can to stop them)
I can not keep him as a house cat as this genuinely makes him depressed he pulls his fur out. Stops eating etc
What would you do in my position.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

Re: Urgent advice needed

Izzie, firstly welcome. Sorry you join under such difficult circumstances. I see the vet's point of view in terms of how much time you're buying him by operating; he may of course not be strong enough to come through the op. Also, if he is loosing his sight and won't settle to being a house cat, he will only end up getting hurt again either on the road or elsewhere.

A really horrible conundrum to be faced with, but in my heart - if he were mine - I know that I would have to be thinking long and hard about what might well be the inevitable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #3

A horrible decision to have to make - you have my sympathies. My first rule of thumb would always be the quality of life for the animal in question. It sounds to me that you know Brandi well and how he would cope if the operation was successful and he recovered sufficiently to want to continue his life as a free cat. Still a hard and heartbreaking decision.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

so sorry to hear about Brandi, what jumps out for me is , a cat that is loseing his sight cannot be allowed outside, he just wont be safe.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-06-2015, 12:44 AM   #5

Agree with Shelley x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
23-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

So sorry to hear about your Brandi, Izzie. I do hope for a good outcome for your boy. What a terrible time for you. I have a totally blind cat, Miracle,who is only outside supervised or in a large cat compound in the back yard. It certainly isn't safe for a cat with bad eye sight to free roam.. I'm praying for you and your Brandi.

Cats owned: NA
Jason is Male
23-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #7

It's such an awful decision, but as others have said, what quality of life will he have even if he pulls through? He can't have that many years left in him anyway. Of course it's your decision at the end of the day. Love to you both x

Cats owned: 2 x Domestic Shorthair
17-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #8

This is a bit old now but in your position I would have the cat PTS, its a terrible decision to have to make but if he's losing his sight being outside is not going to be safe and if he's not happy being in either then he is either going to be stuck in and miserable or let out and won't be long before similar happens again especially as he will probably be less mobile after surgery. Hugs. x