Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
21-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #11

Re: I'm looking for ways to get my boyfriend off my back about declawing Charlotte

Plese don't give in to your boyfriend, it is cruel and barbaric and thanks goodness illegal here. I honestly think it would be fairer to re-home your cat than give in to this. Sorry I know you are against it and I wish you luck. Oh and welcome to catsey! x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
21-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #12

Re: I'm looking for ways to get my boyfriend off my back about declawing Charlotte

I have two indoor cats who both use their scratching post to keep their claws OK. Yes, my furniture has been slightly damaged, mainly from when they were kittens, but I accepted the fact when I got the cats, damage was something that was bound to happen. I get so much pleasure and love from them both that I think the trade off is worth it

Perhaps your boyfriend didn't have all the facts when he was so insistent about the declawing and hopefully will now have been convinced how horrible it would be

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
You don't have to if your cat has ample opportunity to scratch properly - your scratchpost should do nicely - and they are physically capable of doing so.
However, if you do take just the very tip off they will do less damage if they do by accident catch on something or the cat extends their claws to catch themselves falling (or at the vet's when they are feeling scared or irritated). Also, if you get your cats used to having their claws clipped, you have an easier life if they damage a claw and you need to trim it so it doesn't catch on everything (as they know the clipping bit already) and they'll be used to you handling their paws and claws so that the "soft paws" will be doable if you need to go down that route.
Ah well they do use their scratching posts, two downstairs plus one upstairs plus they are fond of the side of my chair - I just gently lift the paws away.

Do trim the dogs nails periodically so always do gently stroke the cats feet and lift them - habit with doing same with the dogs. They seem to quite like it Clipping nails might be another thing

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
22-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #14

i agree with everyone else on the topic of declawing. They have their claws for a reason. I take my 2 to the groomers in p@h to get theri nails trimmed every so often. They both use the scratch post but i find that their nails still get long as they dont have access to the outdoors. In regards to furniture, my boy is partial to clawing 1 particular bit of the couch but when told no, he comes away from it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
22-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #15

Tiger uses his scratching post, he doesn't claw the furniture although I do have a few wee claw marks on the couch but these are accidental. I think you should stand firm on the declawing issue, it's banned in the UK for a reason. Personally I'd keep the cat and change the boyfriend

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #16

If your b/f is prepared to have his fingers amputated from the knuckle first, then go for it. If he doesnt want an animal that scratches then he should consider a goldfish as a pet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinef2
Tiger uses his scratching post, he doesn't claw the furniture although I do have a few wee claw marks on the couch but these are accidental. I think you should stand firm on the declawing issue, it's banned in the UK for a reason. Personally I'd keep the cat and change the boyfriend
I'd vote that way too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I'd vote that way too!
I agree .... sounds as if he is more interested in the furniture than having respect for life and the pain he'd be inflicting.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
23-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #19

I woiuldnt even be discussing it with him, its a plain and simple no and he is being abusive by getting it done, therefore I wouldnt even be in a relationship with someone who had these views. Plain and simple

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
24-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #20

Well if you give a cat lots of places to scratch, they won't be interested in your furniture. Our furniture hasn't been touched due to all of the cat natured stuff they have. And if they do touch the furniture, which is usually just to stretch, just squirt them with a water bottle & a cat will know that is not a place to scratch. Then in a calm manner show them their scratching post. You could try softpaws or getting them clipped by a vet or try yourself...Its all about compromise when you have a cat.

Declawing hurts a cat in so many ways...This is not something you can give into. A cats claws are very important, taking them away would be like taking away part of their life. Just shouldn't be done...

Hope you can talk him out of getting Charlotte declawed. Take Care & Enjoy your day