Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
22-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #1

4X4 Road Tax.

Was just wondering what others thought of the tax increase for 4X4's its going up to £300 for a year and £400 for a year in 2008 i have a land rover discovery myself i dont see why people who drive 4X4's get so much stick.If they are hoping the tax increase will force people to sell up and get a small car, i for one wont be doing that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #2

Re: 4X4 Road Tax.

No - I won't be either!!! It's a silly knee-jerk reaction fuelled (pardon the pun) by tabloid media and frightened politicians who will do anything to grab the public vote!

Yes I agree that there are issues surrounding climate change, but it has been shown that the problem is not as drastic as it's being talked up to be and neither is a small percentage of cars to blame!

It seems that in the battle between white van man (how many white vans do you see belching out poluting fumes . . . I bet they've never been near a service centre in their lives) and the (predominently) newish SUVs driven by the new scourge of society; School-run Mum, white van man due to the power of the media that he keeps on his dashboard, is winning

I could go on . . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
22-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #3

Althoug I have never driven a 4 x 4 this has really annoyed me. Drivers always suffer in the budget, yet how can an average family manage on appalling & expensive public transport? I have seen small cars with disgusting emissions, yet they are targeting drivers of bigger cars again. So unfair. End of rant.

Catsey Veteran

22-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #4

Band G cars, targeted by this hike in tax include the Renault Espace (necessary if you have 3 or more kids) and also the Ford Modeo Estate .

It's funny how everyone picks on the easiest target and hold it up for ridicule; and if I hear 'gas guzzling 4X4' one more time I'll scream

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
22-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #5

Some of the really old cars on the road smoke like no ones business.

i think the main reason for picking on 4X4's is because they think the owners have money to be able to drive one.

Im not sure if theres an age bracket i heard somewhere it only affects the new ones registered 2006 onwards.Mines only '1999' but either way its still unfair.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
22-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #6

Lucy the £300 charge is for vehicles registered on or after 23rd March 2006 in band G

HTH

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Lucy the £300 charge is for vehicles registered on or after 23rd March 2006 in band G

HTH
Emma, does that mean that 4x4 vehicles registered before March '06 won't have to pay the higher taxation?

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
22-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #8

What makes me mad is that I have to pay a higher tax for my Honda CRV than OH pays for his Audi which does less miles to the gallon. Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #9

I don't think it's all 4x4's that carry the highest road tax price is it?

Catsey Veteran

22-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #10

Kelly - I think it's anything with an emission over 265. That actually brackets quite a lot of cars . . . and most mid-to-large SUVs.