Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #1

SUVs and the budget

Right!! This has really got my goat!! I drive an SUV, a Lexus RX300. It's not a gas guzzler and it's not excessively large - size wise and petrol consumption-wise it equates to a large saloon car or mid-sized estate.

Whats more - the SUV I have is also available as a hybrid electric/petrol model, which, excuse me if I'm wrong, is super-eco-friendly. If it has been available 2 years ago when I bought my petrol model I would've got the hybrid.

There are large SUVs that use 10 MPG (Range Rover, Discovery), but mine isn't one of them. Why should I be penalised just coz my car is perceived as an SUV??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #2

Re: SUVs and the budget

This is why I bought a small car - 1.1 Peugeot 206. I didnt want to get caught out with the road tax - good thinking for me for a change!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #3

I dont drive BUT i have always thoguht the budget a load of rubbish.

like how many years has the married persons child benefit gone up and the single persons not? And single mums / dads need it more.

I personally agree with booze and fags going up, one hand as it is bad for your health, but dont agree with it on the other hand as the govt know whatever they charge people WILL pay it, so they know the more they put it up the more profits they make.

Too much of stuff going up if youa sk me lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
06-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #4

Mmm maybe time to change your car Yola

It is annoying. I went to tax my car and on the renewal it told me it was £93-odd but when I went into the post office about 2 weeks after the tax ran out (car was off the road as it needed a new exhaust) and the day after the Budget, it had gone up by £2.25 I was disgusted about it so purposefully wrote a rubber cheque All legal now I hasten to add

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
08-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #5

since ive lived in london ive seen more 4x4s than when i lived in the country, sorry but a 4x4 is not a car to use in a large city.sorry my thoughts.
and we drive a 750 fiat panda, ideal for city driving, and we can drive at a sensible speed on the motor ways.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
08-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
since ive lived in london ive seen more 4x4s than when i lived in the country, sorry but a 4x4 is not a car to use in a large city.sorry my thoughts.
and we drive a 750 fiat panda, ideal for city driving, and we can drive at a sensible speed on the motor ways.
just thought of something, the saddest thing i ever saw was a man in green wellies (spotlessly clean) drovers coat and hat, getting out of the cleanest 4x4 ive ever seen, and where was this?? in the middle of a city. he looked quite upset when i laughed out loud at him. his car wasnt even dusty

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
We live in a large city and do have a 4x4. We like it because we can get (now) 3 labradors in easily. Also it is ideal for towing a horse trailer as we have a horse...

Catsey Junior

09-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #8

I think that its a good idea to tax larger cars. They tend to use more petrol, and so we are encouraging people to think about this when they buy their car. I also think they should raise the tax on ALL cars that are petrol only to encourage people to buy hybrids etc etc. (I also drive to work by the way, but only becasue the bus takes 30 mins longer!!)

As for tax on smoking.... GREAT! As far as I am concerned, I pay tax, that goes toward the NHS, I dont smoke, why should I pay for someone elses selfishness...... (my OH hates when I get on my high horse about this so sorry in advance)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
16-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Right!! This has really got my goat!! I drive an SUV, a Lexus RX300. It's not a gas guzzler and it's not excessively large - size wise and petrol consumption-wise it equates to a large saloon car or mid-sized estate.

Whats more - the SUV I have is also available as a hybrid electric/petrol model, which, excuse me if I'm wrong, is super-eco-friendly. If it has been available 2 years ago when I bought my petrol model I would've got the hybrid.

There are large SUVs that use 10 MPG (Range Rover, Discovery), but mine isn't one of them. Why should I be penalised just coz my car is perceived as an SUV??
OH Lexi Lexi!! My boss has had 2 Rx300's lurrrrrvely motors! he's got an Amazon now
Dawn.