Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #1

Plants for structure/interest?

As you can see from the front garden thread update the acers have moved to the front garden.http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=36832

When doing the back garden ( which will be starting soon) I wondered what plants you all like structure/interest; ever green preferably although if interesting enough happy to take
none evergreen.
Thinking of cordylines.....phormiums etc?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #2

Re: Plants for structure/interest?

Non evergreens, but interesting for structure and color:

Corylus contorta - Harry Lauder's Walking Stick
Jasminum nudiflorum - Winter Jasmine

I've seen both growing in the neighborhood; the twisted stems of the Corylus are striking, and I liked the jasmine enough to plant two small ones in the front ... alas, a bit shady for them Gorgeous yellow flowers in late Winter.

Pyracantha? Sort of common, but attractive berries; same for Nandina.
Rhododendrons?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

I'd go for phormiums every time, but then I am a bit of a nut for them! They come in all different colours, stripy or not, black; bronze; red/brown; green; green/yellow and some have different coloured edges. Drought tolerant, fully hardy and they do eventually flower! I'd certainly pick them above cordylines, which in my experience can be vulnerable and need protection in the winter.

Bamboos can be good too - but pick the clumping varieties - Eileen will throw up her hands in horror here! They give a nice shade and make a lovely sibilance in a breeze. You can get stunning black stems or lovely golden ones ..... yum!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #4

Or what about a Cycad? Not sure how they would be in your area though!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

I have a few Phormiums and they all made it through the very bad winter last year with no fuss. I lost all 3 of my cordylines.

I have 2 bamboos (both clumping) Phyllostachys Nigra which is a black stemmed one and Fargesia Murieliae which is a lovely fine stemmed arching one that has green stalks which get yellower as it ages.

The other shrub I love in winter is Viburnum x bodnantense it has lovely fragranced pink flowers from November/December to Snowdrop time. Although the general description is of a large shrub it takes pruning very well and can be kept quite compact.

Some of the Azaleas are beautiful and evergreen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #6

Cycads are stunning, but won't overwinter here, as I found, sadly. Evergreen azaleas are a good idea.

Catsey Veteran

02-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #7

I am considering bamboo's but would plant them in a really large pot or dustbin.

Catsey Veteran

02-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #8

Thanks all, all suggestions welcome. Cycadswill not over winter here a neighbour has some but has lost some regardless of care.