Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

Fitted kitchens, your advice please :)

My current kitchen is 20 years old, it was an old MFI one that a builder friend of ours installed for us and did the whole thing, tiling, fitting the appliances, floor etc. Now the built in oven has packed in and to have a new one will cost £400 (installed)and as the sink &taps are looking poorly and the doors were chewed up by my Bronnie as a pup it's time for a rethink.

Has anyone got any recommendations for the best firm of kitchen fitters, eg, Moben/Magnet. Or should we go for DIY solution and get a fitter ourselves, or use the B&Q/Wickes options. I really need your advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

Re: Fitted kitchens, your advice please :)

Obviously I can't offer any suggestions from this side of the Pond, so just wishing you good luck and hope someone will have helpful suggestions. (I still have the kitchen that was here when I bought the house (except a new fridge )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
17-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #3

My sister recently had a full refit. SHe went down the semi DIY route. She played about with designs, layout etc. Then took all the old tiles down, scraped the walls etc.

She used a local joiner, electrician, plasterer and tiler. Bought the units, accessories, white goods etc. from John Lewis/Ikea/local tile store.

Have to say it was a lot of work but at the end of the day it is lovely and exactly what she wanted.

Having read and heard some horror stories about some of the way companies work I think she made a good job.

I'm sure for every horror story there are 20 good ones - you just don't get to hear about them.

Either way, I hope you have great fun planning.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
18-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #4

Thanks both Done a bit of web surfing and I think that the refit will be fairly simple and it doesn't warrant a expert plan and design. I quite like the lay-out and tiles I think I'll just change the doors and worktops and hob/oven or go for a slot in cooker this time. Will ask around my local joiners/fitters and get estimates.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #5

Sorry I thought I had replied to this........

My choice would be go the DIY route, build up my own units (or use exsisting and replace only doors/worktops and appliances) then get someone in to mitre (fancy cut worktop so can't see the join) where the sink and hob are out.

If the carcases themselves are good then just replace doors, handles appliances and worktops. Look for funky good handles its surprising how handles change the look of a plain doors into to something eyecatching, consider their location too instead of vertical consider horizontal .......
Lots of big DIY outfits offer a wood cutting service so any straight piece of worktop you could get cut and fit yourself. Its the sink, hob and joins that can be the problem although you get get joining strips but if you want "mitred" joints you need someone who has the tools, I see lots of people who tried and ruined it.

And don't forget if your original tiles are good on walls you can tile over them or if you have a hob with exctractor fan over then consider something like the splashbacks about these day Stainless steel, black etc.

And depending on your style/taste there are now designs that have plain doors then "highlight" an area such as sink, freestanding island unit....dresser type thing in an accent door colour like red/black/etc etc. A different accent colour to the rest of your kitchen.But only being doors you could swop and change.

Go into Wickes, BQ etc etc and get books etc ask questions...pick their brains and they do do free planning service you book take your measurements windows location gas elec points etc and they plan for you; you don't get complete specifications till you order but you do get a drawing showing general plan.....................and no obligation.

Then see what they suggest.

You can make a big difference with changig doors, worktops, handles. Hope it helps