Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
12-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #11

Re: Free range or not?

having worked in a place that reared 60/70 thousand chickens and seen the hormone feed used to make them grow faster and antibiotices used in the water to keep disease down I would never buy intensively reared chicken no matter how cheap they were ...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
12-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #12

I don't think the meat we get is organic, I know it's locally sourced. Raised in farms quite local, and slaughtered in the same area so less stress with travelling. And then most game; rabbit/pheasant etc is either caught by myself or other relatives.
I do think it's very unfair to make people feel bad for not being able to afford organic food though tbf.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #13

It is so difficult. I totally agree with free range and organic and buy this whenever I can. I always buy free range eggs. However, I simply cannot afford to buy free range chickens and other meat all the time, although I did make an exception and bought free range turkeys for Christmas. I cook a lot of meat free meals, my son and daughter are both vegetarian, so we use quite a bit of quorn and otjher meat substitutes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I don't think the meat we get is organic, I know it's locally sourced. Raised in farms quite local, and slaughtered in the same area so less stress with travelling. And then most game; rabbit/pheasant etc is either caught by myself or other relatives.
I do think it's very unfair to make people feel bad for not being able to afford organic food though tbf.
Luke, there was no intent on my part to make people feel bad about their choices; I didn't mean that and am sure no one else did either!

You're lucky to be able to get locally raised/grown products ...our Whole Foods market uses produce/meats from within roughly 100 miles whenever possible......locally grown is very big here....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
12-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #15

I must admit I always bought cheap chickens but then I don't eat meat so it didn't bother me but I saw River Cottage and it put me off. OH noticed a difference in the taste and I noticed a difference in the colour of the chicken when cooked. However it is a personal decision affected by budget. They can mass produce cos there is a demand for it, (I think I may be wrong) but I can't justify the cruelty once I knew about how many die in those conditions not even eaten and the chemical pumped into them must do us some harm?? As I say that's my opinion only

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
12-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #16

I rarely buy chicken but when I do, I get free range or organic. I do buy the cooked chicken which Im sure is "standard" for the Cats. I never buy Danish Pork, always British and never buy anything other than organic Beef and NEVER Argentinian! Free range eggs every time.

I think people should be allowed to choose, but I honestly felt sick at the disgusting crap in some of those "meals." Providing people are fully aware of where their food has come from and how it was reared, they should be able to make their own choices based on their own feelings and financies, and shouldnt be judged for doing so.
Dawn.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
12-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #17

I would never eat anything that has suffered so much I don't understand how people can ever justify that.

Yuk scabby Chickens 2 for a fiver I would not want them for free.

The meat taste awful looks Awful and is full of crap

When I was short of money(still am sometimes) I ate less meat or waited until the free range had a reduced sticker on it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
12-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I rarely buy chicken but when I do, I get free range or organic. I do buy the cooked chicken which Im sure is "standard" for the Cats. I never buy Danish Pork, always British and never buy anything other than organic Beef and NEVER Argentinian! Free range eggs every time.

I think people should be allowed to choose, but I honestly felt sick at the disgusting crap in some of those "meals." Providing people are fully aware of where their food has come from and how it was reared, they should be able to make their own choices based on their own feelings and financies, and shouldnt be judged for doing so.
Dawn.
I must admit I try to buy British everything now if I can. Fruit and veg is also mass produced and tastes of water not what it should taste of unless you buy locally grown

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
12-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #19

I always get free range eggs, I even have to walk down the garden to get them out of the nest boxes.

Here are my girls

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #20

What lovely chooks! Nice to see them......