Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
28-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

Saturday - the weekend for real

Yeah its the weekend and for the first time in a long time a proper weekend ie one that follows a working week..........such a nice feeling, being back at work.

I know I have only been back since Wed but after about 1/2 a day it was like I had not been away. Only the hugs as I see people again tell the story of my absence now.

Hope everyone has a good weekend - weather here okay was bright now overcast but no rain. Popping into work for a few hours to spread the load., covering someone for a fortnights holiday and its a role that no one else can do so....need to get my head into gear as its changed in my absence. but fun thinking again.

Getting some information together on having a utily type of room built at the back of the house housing mostly a downstairs loo.

May plant out the tubs at the front too this weekend. Now step in place along with widened/relaid path work has stopped till I can transplant a few plants. Then a stone circle to be brought and laid.

Looking for something to "do" as such and almost certainly decided on a history course.....either GCSE....or specific history evening classes. engage my brain. And I ADORE history - did at school but its kept my interest and would love to do something with a like minded class (ie who want to be there adult education)

So a long daily from me. Off over to work in a little while and taking a plant cutting to a friend of a friend, rubbish round tothe skip maybe a few bits and pieces to pick up food wise but..................just wanted to say.
SO HAPPY TO BE WORKING AGAIN.

Have a good day all - ENJOY

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
28-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Re: Saturday - the weekend for real

You sound even perkier than usual this morning Kazz, being back at work must be quite a change for you though after all this time, enjoy your weekend you've deserved it!

I like your idea of an utility room extension, it's something I'd really like too but there's just not enough space outside. Fortunately the kitchen is big enough (just!) to house all the appliances and we do already have a downstairs loo just off the hall. The children were 4 and 6 when we moved here and having a downstairs loo was sooooo useful, nobody banging on the bathroom door while you were in the shower shouting "Mummeeeeee, I need to go NOW!" Our other house only had the upstairs bathroom when they were being potty-trained, suffice it to say that period of time is best forgotten!

I don't have anything special planned for today, a bit of laundry, a bit of housework, a bit of loafing about

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
28-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

Morning! I've had such a lovely lie in today, felt like I needed it! Possibly coming down with a touch of cold so going to try and get out and about as much as possible this weekend.
Off to local show today, to man the knitting club stand for a couple of hours but will need to fit in a long walk for Darcy beforehand so better get up and out.
Have a great Saturday everyone!

Catsey Veteran

28-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #4

P.S. I meant to say, Sophie got her GCSE result Tuesday 12 GCSE's .....5 at A* .....all 12 grades were at C or above even the dreaded maths, everyone is so so pleased and proud, as she does not find it easy, her one teacher said Sophie is a natural trier............and a pleasure to teach, as she wants to do her best.

She has worked very hard to learn, going to after school "study groups" too and on Saturday mornings too, she has not missed a day from school in the last 3 years and only 2 days since entering secondary school, one day for her Grandads funeral and once when she had ear infection.

She is going on to take A level's in English Language& Literature, Spanish, Biology and has chosen also A level dance. They are subjects she likes/loves and did well at.
She is retaking her GCSE in maths.....she got grade C but wants to do better. She still likes the idea of speech/occupational theraphy.....for which those A levels are highly desireable, and a GCSE at A OR A* in Maths at GCSE would be an advantage she tells me. Plus she tells me they are a good mix for lots of university apllications.

Under her own steam she has contacted the local autistic society and Jack's school, and asked about doing work experience there at weekends, yesterday we discovered she had contacted the speech therapist at Jacks school and asked about helping him out. She also contacted the universities who offer that type of course and they said 24/7 experience of living with Jack was equivilant to years of study and results. Plus of course "proper" work experience is viewed highly when applying for a place.

Lord knows where this confidence has come from........

Catsey Veteran

28-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #5

Superb results ! Many congratulations to Sophie, well done indeed!

Catsey Veteran

28-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Superb results ! Many congratulations to Sophie, well done indeed!
yes they are she worked so hard to get them to the point that my sister and BIL were almost literally just saying "Sophie stop studying/worrying" she pushes herself hard. Like the Maths GCSE .......most would be happy with a C she wants A*

Mrs H would you say those were good options for A levels?

She has always been a natural at languages, but whatever she does decide, she will do her best. She wants to do a job she LOVES not tolerates to get by.

Catsey Veteran

28-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #7

I don't really know if these subjects are a good choice for Sophie's A levels, my gut reaction is that they certainly are, on the basis that to do an academic course at university you should have 3 academic A levels and her subjects are definitely in that group. I just don't know if there are any specific requirements for her chosen career, for example in order to study Medecine you need A level Chemistry, Engineering needs Maths and so on. Has she looked at course requirements at appropriate post-A level institutions or got advice from her 6th form centre?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #8

Hi all - showery here today so I've been in and out like a yo yo trying to clean out the hen coop.

Kittens helped me strip and remake the bed - they had super fun but it did take 3x longer than usual.

OH, his daughter and myself have all developed this strange affliction since we got the kittens. We now walk with a kind of hesitant shuffle! They will get under your feet both in front or behind. Also Izzi has taken to launching herself halfway up my leg and then climbing - ouch!!

Kazz - you do 'sound' really chirpy today. Being back at work has obviously perked you up. Sophie's results are really good. She sounds as if she has her head screwed on the right way. As you said, such confidence making all these contacts. Well done Sophie.

Mrs H - your day sounds petty much like mine. laundry, loafing and housework.

Enjoy the day peeps.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #9

Afternoon all - it's been a lovely bright warm morning here, but is clouding over a bit now. I have been out in the garden cutting back the marjoram. My gardening man has taken out all the old lavender plants under the front window - they will be being replaced by ............... da da da ........... new lavender plants! It is a very dry, well drained border in full sun and nothing would do nearly as well as the lavender. I have 10 nice sized Hidcote variety to go in once the soil has settled down a bit.

Two loads of laundry out and dry and another out - fingers crossed it will dry. I have much increased washing loads now from MIL and getting stuff dry outdoors is a great help. We had a utility room built when we had our extension done and I wouldn't be without it. I have an airing cupboard in there too. We already had a separate loo. It's not huge, but has a sink and plumbed in washing machine and tumble dryer. There is just enough room for a clothes airer as well. Oh, and the cats' litter tray (which is only very occasionally used now).

Kizzy and Pip have been having a wonderful time, running around and playing - they do love to get out and enjoy the sun. Saw Harley for his breakfast, but he's been a-wandering too today.

Kazz - you are justly proud of Sophie. Well done to her - how great it must be to be that confident and have good self-esteem at her age. She's a credit to her family.

I was going to say that I missed kittens helping with bed making CM, but I have to say that Pip especially still likes to "help"! Luckily, being larger even I can see when there's a cat-shaped lump inside the duvet cover.

Enjoy your day Kazz, MrsH, PL, CM and everyone. Liz, I think I'd love to see a new photo of Darcy .... please .....

Catsey Veteran

28-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #10

Just realised that our phone (Virgin media) isn't working. Some perishing blighter (for want of a more direct description) has vandalised the area box just round the corner! I've emailed Virgin but apparently neighbours had already done this, I wonder how long it will take them to respond?