Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #21

Re: Bliss' & Mildred's babies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
That seems the ideal situation for Mildred's babies but won't Bliss miss her own?
Because they share the babies, I think she will be fine with Mil's. I've taken her babies away from her and put them in a room where she cannot hear them until I take them to the breeder. It's only when she can hear them she gets stressed. She is at present cuddled up feeding Mil's babies. She is missing Mil more than anything, she keeps looking at me as if to say 'where is she?'

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #22

Poor girlie, Im pleased she is doing better.

I know its more common in very young Queens and those that have large litters, its something to do with the calcium levels in the blood? My friends Dobe had it, she wasnt a young bitch, she was 3 but it was her first litter, she had 12 puppies. The Vet advised she was never bred from again, (she wouldnt of been anyway) with the liklihood of another large litter etc.. and at the time he said bitches are more likely to get it again if they have had it before. I remember rushing round trying as you have done, to find a bitch with puppies! 4 went onto a Springer, 4 went onto a rescued mongrel in a foster home having a phantom, and 4 were hand reared by the breeder.

Im sure now Mildred is responding she will be fine, she has always looked in great condition. Have they said when she can come home?

Catsey Veteran

22-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #23

Thanks Dawn, yes it's a drain on the calcium levels in the body usually due to feeding a large litter. It's a very acute condition that comes on frighteningly quickly and can be fatal in a very short space of time. There's no way that Mildred will ever have another litter, this will be her first and her last.

The vet could not say when she would be allowed home, he feels she needs to be more stable than she is right now and showing interest in eating. I'll update when I have more news

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Thanks Dawn, yes it's a drain on the calcium levels in the body usually due to feeding a large litter. It's a very acute condition that comes on frighteningly quickly and can be fatal in a very short space of time. There's no way that Mildred will ever have another litter, this will be her first and her last.

The vet could not say when she would be allowed home, he feels she needs to be more stable than she is right now and showing interest in eating. I'll update when I have more news
She is in the best place Fran. I can imagine how scary it was for you, my friend rang me just 3hrs after I had left and said Saffy was in the vets and they thought she wouldnt make it. Mildred sounds to be recovering, Im sure she will be home when she starts talking to them! try not to worry, I think she is over the worst.

Forgot to tell you, 2 of the pups that were reared by the rescue mongrel got made into champions!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #25

So very sorry to read this PK, healing vibes being sent to Mildred,fingers crossed the foster mum accepts the kittens.......Thoughts with you all....xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #26

OMG Fran - I'm so so sorry to hear about poor Mil. I can't imagine how worried you must be. She is in the best place for her though and thank goodness Bliss has happily taken on her babies.

My thoughts are with you and Mil. Lots of love and hugs. Let us know how Bliss's babies are doing with their foster mum too.

xxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
22-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #27

Sorry to hear all this sad news... just hope they all make it through. Fingers crossed here x

Catsey Veteran

22-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #28

It's not great news at the minute, she has developed a very high temperature, her blood count for infection is sky high. They have done an ultrasound of her womb to check for anything untoward there and cannot find anything obvious. They have started her on some aggresive antibiotics and meds to bring down her temp. I'll update as I have news. I'm terribly worried

The babies seemed to have settled well with their new foster mummys, fingers crossed that they continue to thrive.

Thank you for all your kind messages.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
22-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #29

Goodness, what a frightening turn of events, you must be absolutely beside yourself with worry. I hope Mildred rallies quickly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #30

Best wishes Fran.