Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #1

Supplements!

As most of you know Teddie has been having canikur granules and sometimes promax paste with her food. Does anyone know about long term usage of these? Every time I try to reduce the amount Teddie is taking it seems to upset her tummy again! My problem is that 1- I don't know what the risk of long term usage are and 2- they're flaming expensive to keep her on all the time!!

She is lamost at the end of her bag of dry hills id,and when I go to the vets on monday for a new bag, I'm also going to get some of the wet hills id to try her on, as I still suspect that her tummy has difficulty in processing the dry food and that it tolerates wet much better. I'd just like to know more before I go to the vets so as to speak to him

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #2

Re: Supplements!

Alex, I'm not aware of any risks of long term usage of Promax or Canikur, perhaps a question to ask your vet? I know exactly where you are coming from with regards to the runs coming back if you stop them though. I have the same here with Porsha too. Tbh, I'm getting to the end of my rag with it all especially as the children are fed up of having poo spots on their beds There has to be some health implications to the humans in the household from all this runny poo hasn't there? Going to speak to my vet next week about what the future holds for Porsha (sorry to hi-jack your thread just feel so terribky frustrated with it all right now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #3

Oh Fran - it sounds like you're having a really bad time over this. Very understandable, I'm full of admiration for both you and Alex over the way you've stood by your cats despite all the additional work, worry and stress it's brought you both. I'm so hoping that Porsha's condition can be controlled . . . maybe you just need to try a completely different avenue of treatment (easy to say I know) have you considered truly complimentary therapies such a acupuncture or similar?

Alex - I think the vet is probably the best one to answer your questions about long-term effects of the additives you're using, I've no experience of them, I know DM (UK) has - hopefully she'll be along soon.

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #4

Oh Fran! I know EXACTLY how you feel. Teddie leaves those same spots all over the house too, even now when she has been doing so well, there is still that runny bit at the end and she never has a completely clean bottom! It is very frustrating!!! And I don't know what will happen if we cant get Teddie off of these supplements as I just am not able to pay an extra £52 approx a month on top of her food! And that's not including the metronidazole either as the vet says there is a possibility she may be on that for life too, but tbh I don't think its helping much now either!

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
. . . maybe you just need to try a completely different avenue of treatment (easy to say I know) have you considered truly complimentary therapies such a acupuncture or similar?
I have some homeopathic drops for her which haven't worked...

I'm lucky in the respect that cost isn't an issue as Porsha is insured, I really don't know how Alex is coping The washing machine will blow up soon, it is constantly on washing bedding/towels/cover sheets that Porsha has dribbled on. The children are understandably upset with their rooms being spoilt and the house stinks, I don't think I can do this for very much longer Will speak to the vet next week but I have to say that today, Porsha's future is looking very grim

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #6

Oh dear I am so very sorry Fran.
I have no words of wisdom for either of you but I do wish you both and the cats all the very best xxx

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #7

Massive (((HUGS))) Fran! I know what you are going through!

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #8

It is just so frustrating when I see how well Teddie is doing, but as soon as I try to make any sort of change it just knocks her straight back! I'm hoping that a change to the wet food might help, if not perhaps back to the fish!!

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #9

Massive {{{hugs}}} to you too Alex, it's so very frustrating isn't it? I do hope that your vet will have answers and suggestions and that you will be able to get Teddie off the supplements x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #10

Alex, are you using the Diar-Eze at all?