Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #21

Re: Blame Dandysmom

I usually order seeds from Thompson & Morgan; they're shipped from New Jersey but on the packets indicate that the seed was grown in the UK and Germany; so would assume Customs doesn't care. I shipped catnip seed to the UK in a regular envelope, and plan to do so with my excess tomato seed. I figure what Customs doesn't know won't hurt it......

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
I don`t rate Ailsa Craig that much,there are dozens of standard reds with better flavour. If anyone is interested google `Allotments 4 All` .We are a friendly bunch and you don`t need an allotment-plenty of threads about tomatoes.

I`m Cleo over there.

I have found Larissa but I don`t pay that sort of money for seeds,if it`s not an F1 hybrid then if anyone grows them and saves the seeds we could arrange some swaps?

I`m not sure of the rules and regulations re-the USA though

Yes I grow borlotti beans and a few others for fresh/drying.

And yes it is very hard to grow decent Okra here-I can manage a couple or so per plant and the flowers are simply wonderful-my challenge is on A4A-the site
I mentioned above
I'm curious: what were they asking for Larissa? It was only $1.95 here, which is lower than average. Most packets go for $2.95 or $3.25,

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
19-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #23

what were they asking for Larissa? It was only $1.95 here, which is lower than average. Most packets go for $2.95 or $3.25,

The only site I saw was £2 for 5 seeds. Over here folk are only now getting to know the flavour of Heritage and `Russian` toms. So others are exploiting it.

I try to run my very small outlet at prices that can compete with commercial garden centres but offering tomatoes that actually have flavour. I say `outlet` it`s just a board outside my house-and one shop I supply

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #24

Quote:
what were they asking for Larissa? It was only $1.95 here, which is lower than average. Most packets go for $2.95 or $3.25,

The only site I saw was £2 for 5 seeds. Over here folk are only now getting to know the flavour of Heritage and `Russian` toms. So others are exploiting it.

I try to run my very small outlet at prices that can compete with commercial garden centres but offering tomatoes that actually have flavour. I say `outlet` it`s just a board outside my house-and one shop I supply
Wow, that's appalling!! Don't blame you for not buying! Heritage tomatoes have been getting increasingly popular here for years; even the big mainstream catalogues carry many varieties, not just the niche ones.

I started my tomatoes, basil and hot pepper seeds Monday; they'll be a nice size to set out on May 1st. I just do a few plants of each as they're just for my use and I have a small City back yard garden. Although the wretched squirrel seems to think he has a share also...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
20-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #25

Basil?-don`t get me started. I grow loads of varities from the standard Genovese right through the bush types to Holy Basil for my Thai cooking. Do you get the Neopolitan variety?-leaves so large you can use them as a wrap?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #26

Wow - that must be amazing! I love basil but normally grow the mixed Mediterranean type - just love the smell it gives to the greenhouse.

Catsey Veteran

20-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Basil?-don`t get me started. I grow loads of varities from the standard Genovese right through the bush types to Holy Basil for my Thai cooking. Do you get the Neopolitan variety?-leaves so large you can use them as a wrap?
I've not experimented too much with basil: the standard Genovese, and Holy Basil for my Thai cooking!! I love chicken Ka Pow; the hot peppers are for that as well as Szechuan dishes..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #28

Eileen, can I come to yours for tea sometime. You always make my mouth water when you talk of your thia dishes etc

Catsey Veteran

20-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #29

Of course, and bring Eva too! Be warned: I like it hot : heavy on unseeded peppers...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #30

Excellent, I'll let eva know, she will be thrilled