Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #11

Re: Blame Dandysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
I don`t know `Larissa`-I`ll send a message to my friend on a board over here and ask her. Yes last year in the UK was truely awful for blight-I lost every outdoor plant but those under cover were OK.

I won`t mention the varieties I have grown over the years as it`s into three figures.

It`s a standing joke in the village and on the internet that I`m the one who cannot abide the awful MM.

For a couple of years I`ve been running a challenge on one of my favourite gardening sites in the UK for anyone who can get a decent crop of okra-the prize being I`ll cook them .No winners yet but they sure are keen to try.

Best not mention squirrels-they steal my hazel nuts and walnuts
Larissa's a Russian variety and hard to find. We used to have a small seed company that specialized in European seeds; unfortunately they were bought out by one of the large seed companies; have not found Larissa since; but will do a Google for it later...I'd like to have it again.

Okra? It's a heat lover, is your summer climate warm enough? Only grew it once just to make pickled okra...

Do you grow shelling beans? I do Borlottos, delicious! First found them in that catalogue I mentioned; but they're pretty common; got them at T & M this year.

How nice that I am not alone here on Catsey with my dislike of thieving squirrels...

Catsey Veteran

15-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #12

Angie, did some Googling and found Ailsa Craig, as well as Larissa at a US seed company: think I'll order some...can always squeeze in a few more tomatoes..!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #13

We grew tomatoes year before last but just not enough room on our windowsills and the cats knock them over!

Catsey Veteran

15-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #14

No room in the garden to sneak in a few, Alex?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #15

yeah could put them in the garden Eileen (we dont have squirrels lol) but never done it, and I'm waiting on OH moving the rabbit hutch so I can put a little veg patch where it is now.

Catsey Veteran

15-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #16

Oh do try: there is nothing like a dead-ripe tomato warm right out of the garden ...and with no squirrels you could get to enjoy it.....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
16-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #17

I don`t rate Ailsa Craig that much,there are dozens of standard reds with better flavour. If anyone is interested google `Allotments 4 All` .We are a friendly bunch and you don`t need an allotment-plenty of threads about tomatoes.

I`m Cleo over there.

I have found Larissa but I don`t pay that sort of money for seeds,if it`s not an F1 hybrid then if anyone grows them and saves the seeds we could arrange some swaps?

I`m not sure of the rules and regulations re-the USA though

Yes I grow borlotti beans and a few others for fresh/drying.

And yes it is very hard to grow decent Okra here-I can manage a couple or so per plant and the flowers are simply wonderful-my challenge is on A4A-the site
I mentioned above

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #18

Steph, I've ordered Larissa. As I don't have an allotment, just a small City back yard I never use all the seeds in a packet, so if you'd like some, PM me your address and I'll send them.......

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
16-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #19

Oh how kind-thank you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
17-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #20

Green Grape. I'm growing some odds and ends from my collection this year, so I'll let you know if the results are anything but a string of expletives... ^_^

I'll have a scout through my seeds and see if there is anything interesting and not yet out of date. I can also offer to send some from here, unless your customs have a fit at the very though?