Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #1

Contact lenses...

I am going tomorrow for my first contact lense, anyone give me advice to which are the best kind, would like the dly one, but do not know much about them...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #2

Re: Contact lenses...

It years since I wore CL Moli so I am sure that they are very different these days. I had to stop wearing them after I had Tom, my eyes seemed to change for some reason and I just couldn't tolerate them in my eyes. I'd love to go back to wearing them but I have tried them a couple of times since having the children and I just couldn't get along with them

I am sure there will be someone here that wears them and knows what is currently available...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #3

You will love them Moli!
I am waiting for the optician to get in my 30 day, wear all the time, day and night and then throw away multifocals! Bit of a mouthful but they don't half make life easier. They are also very good for the soul - it is a little dispiriting to realise that one's near sight is failing and that you need pairs & pairs of specs all around the house for checking the sink is clean, reading the ingredients on a can or jar, combing the cats etc etc.
daily disposables are great because you don't have the cleaning & storage issues, but they do mean that you are 'blind' when you wake up, and when you are putting the first lens in. You are also fiddling with your eyes twice a day.
Once I get my new lenses I can give you an update as to how comfortable it is to wear them continuously.
Your optician will have an input as to what is best for you - depending on your prescription etc.
Don't be apprehensive about comfort of wear - you only know you are wearing them because you can see - you don't feel anything.
Good luck

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
11-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #4

Been wearing them for 13 years. In my opinion soft lenses are best but within that type there are various sorts of lens.

I wear the high water content monthly disposables - high water content allows you to wear them for longer

A good lens fitter will talk through your needs and lifestyle and let you trial some before fitting you with your "permanent" type.

They are also surprisingly cheap these days -mine are £10 per month for a new pair per month, all solutions and a corneal check once a year. If you need ones with different focals/ hard lens these are more expensive.

Hope it all goes well

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #5

So I can get ones I can wear all he time, must admit hate spec's stuck on the end of my nose! I have what my optician call maturing eye sight, bloomin cheek!!!Next queson are they expensive, at the moment new glasses cost me abot £200...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #6

I tried CL once, never again!! I went for one of those free trial things, thinking that I might change over as I hate wearing glasses. The optician was not a happy bunny with me as it was a fight to get them into my eyes (mine tear over putting mascara on, lol). He was really frustrated, and when they were finally in my eyes were watering like heck. One fell out the next day and I spent an hour trying to get the other out. That saying, I would love to be able to wear them..

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #7

depends on what is suitable for your eyes and price on where you go. Specsavers are the most reasonable in my opinion.

If your eyes and prescription are ok then you could get all day wear daily disposables but you really need to wait and see what they say

I have bog standard shortsightedness - 14:14 instead of 20:20 so can wear any contact lens but dependant on your prescription and eyeball shape you may be restricted.

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
So I can get ones I can wear all he time, must admit hate spec's stuck on the end of my nose! I have what my optician call maturing eye sight, bloomin cheek!!!Next queson are they expensive, at the moment new glasses cost me abot £200...
The continual wear are just coming in. My optician didn't have any in stock but is seeking them for me.
Maybe £10 - £12 a month for lenses - varies hugely. And remember fluids etc if you don't get daily disposables or continual wear ones. I think they compare well with decent glasses (and that's another question - why are frames so expensive? -only bits of plastic after all) There are literally dozens of websites you can get them where they will be cheper than your optician. Even Tesco etc sell them on-line. Just Google lenses and you will get an idea - or be totally baffled!
Maturing eyesight? - that's when your arms are no longer long enough to hold the paper away, isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #9

Maturing eyesight? - that's when your arms are no longer long enough to hold the paper away, isn't it? Thats exactly it DM!
Would like to go for the daily ones you just throw away....Have found a few link on the net, so all you do is get your perscription from the optician, and order on line??

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #10

All the firms fall over each other for your custom. Send them your prescription first off (they'll return it with your order) then you can order on line as long as the prescription lasts. A prescription is only valid for one year now, used to be two.