Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #1

How would you react to this?

Em my daughter who will be 11 this year goes to Cheerleading practise on a Friday after school. She goes straight from school (takes herself there as it is literally in the building next door to school) and helps with the younger class and then stops on for her own class. Well half an hour after she should have been there helping with the younger class, I got a call from her instructor saying her class was cancelled due to the weather conditions so I said well I will come straight up for her only for the Instructor to say she wasn't and hadn't been there Well of course I was frantic. I phoned her mobile which rang and rang but she didn't answer it. Well to cut a long story short she had gone home with one of her class mates with a view to them both going to their own class not the younger one they usually help out with. Now when I finally located her I went crackers and this friend's mum looked all disgusted at me as if I shouldn't be having a go at her and said well Em said it would be ok to come back to ours until their class. Now, bearing in mind that the Instructor was panicking as was I and hubby. We hadn't a clue where she was, am I in the wrong here for being annoyed that no-one telephoned me to let me know that she would be going back to this friend's house. Her friend's mum seemed to think I was over reacting and I do accept that I can occasionally over react but I was so so worried I had no idea where my daughter was. Surely this mum should have suggested that Em phone me?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
09-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #2

Re: How would you react to this?

Absolutely agree, I'd of been going barmy! The lady should of realised how worried you would be, a child may think its ok, but an adult should surely of known.

Glad she is ok Fran, have you calmed down a bit now?
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #3

I had a similar incident a few years back with Sean. School let them out early and he wasnt home (he had a key). I had NO IDEA where he was. Running around the town trying to find him was not fun. Panicking. Wondering. Knowing he was probably alright but still worrying. Just in case.

Awful awful position to be in.

He was at a friends and hadnt realised the time so didnt know I was at home. He planned to get back home before I got in from work - but kids plans never actually work do they?

I agree you should of been worried. I was terrified something had happened to him. And you would of the same.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
09-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

No way are you over reacting Fran!!! OMG, you must have been frantic. Stupid woman should have made Em phone straight away, and why wasn't Em answering her phone??? When you can't get your kids on the phone that you give them for emergencies such as this, then of course you're going to panic. Thank Heavens all is well! ((hugs)) and go and have a LARGE glass of red wine, I think you deserve it after the day youo've been having.xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #5

I agree entirely PK, You should have been phoned and let know where she was, I would have reacted in exactly the same way...

Catsey Veteran

09-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Glad she is ok Fran, have you calmed down a bit now?
Dawn.
She is ok thankfully and that is the main thing, albeit a little red faced about it all

I'm sure an earlier than usual glass of red will help calm me down after the worrying day I have had all round!

Catsey Veteran

09-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
why wasn't Em answering her phone???

She had it on vibrate mode in her school bag I often wonder if Em's brains are in her school bag and not in her head

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #8

I think most mothers would have reacted as you did Fran ....... her friend's mother should have suggested to Em to ring you as she must have known it was a change from her usual routine and you may worry.....

I'm glad she is safe anyway Fran, you hear too many bad things these days that it is impossible not to worry about your child....

((((hugs)))) while you enjoy your glass of wine later

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #9

Perfectly normal reaction Fran. I think Em's probably learnt her lesson and will inform you of her whereabouts in future

Catsey Veteran

09-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #10

In retrospect, I suppose if the classes had gone ahead as they should I wouldn't have had this worry as I wouldn't have known until after the class but I really don't think that excuses the fact that my daughter wasn't where she was supposed to be. I know if the situation had been reversed and I had taken the other child home, I would have insisted she phone / me phone her mum to let her know the change of plans.