Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #71

Re: Cute Kittens

Absolutely, which is why I get carried away on my high horse.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #72

Maybe its just me, originally we had reserved a ginger boy as a companion for Tim. However on the day we went to collect him, the rescue wouldn't release him as he wasn't well. Because of the distance involved - 21/2 - 3 hours drive they offered us a choice of any of the kittens/adults. The only other kitten there was Amber who was near Tim's age. We didnt want to take a younger kitten as Tim as always been a bit fiesty & with older cat it may have been too traumatic as we have dogs.

The first thing we did when we got home was to ring the vets to arrange Tim's neuter, which as it turned out, was just as well when Amber went into season early

How can any animal lover with a multi male cat household, the majority entire take on a female kitten/cat & not get the males neutered/female spayed at the earliest opportunity. It is very very sad.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #73

Yes it is sad. Should we now close this debate and maybe start a new thread about how we would like Catsey as a whole to move forward? I am not naive enough to think that Catsey and any of it's members can resolve the issue of irresponsible cat ownership/breeding but how we can promote the forum as one that does not condone these acts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
18-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Yes it is sad. Should we now close this debate and maybe start a new thread about how we would like Catsey as a whole to move forward? I am not naive enough to think that Catsey and any of it's members can resolve the issue of irresponsible cat ownership/breeding but how we can promote the forum as one that does not condone these acts.

Very nicely put Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #75

Your'e probably right

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
18-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #76

I've lost count the number of times I've suggested that if people feel strongly about it they should consider getting together and writing an article (as a thread for now) for Catsey - and we will add a prominent link to it.

SB felt strongly enough about it to write one for Dogsey, Thinking about breeding? Think about this... it is our most read article, ever! Just imagine how much good that has done - it doesn't take a scientist to work out it's done much more good than not having one. Whenever I notice a hint of someone considering 'breeding' in a thread on Dogsey, I always post a link to that thread - and many others do too.

Re a 'members charter' - I don't think this is a good idea. For one I am against censorship as we're not a draconian site, and two, most people will just skip it, or us and move on to the next forum. What good will that do? What's the point of having a voice if nobody can hear you - or is unwilling to listen to you. (And that goes for being overtly hostile too - it achieves little because people stop listening.)

We have to make a social change about why breeding willy nilly is wrong - and we're not going to do it by yelling from inside a closed cast iron cube.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #77

I like this idea! Elaine, want to have ago at it?

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #78

I could try but I really dont think I'd be any good at writting an article like that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #79

I think you would, you've been very clear explaining the reasons not to breed. and the consequences when yet more kittens are born. Are you on Dogsey? Why not take a look at SB's thread .... get a few ideas for organizing it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
19-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
No Kobster, she said that she "wanted" to breed a litter of kittens and that Gizmo, one of her unneutered males was the dad.
Yes, but this was stated in a separate thread on a separate day. I know I can't be the only member who doesn't visit every day, read every thread, or remember what was said on every thread. From the way the thread with the kitten pics was worded, I had know way of knowing it wasn't a rescued female (I mean who intentially breeds and doesn't know how far along the female is???)

Point being, its isn't always that people are condoning it, they perhaps just don't know.