Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #51

Re: Teddie very bad again

Hmmm, I'll put that on the back burner for now then, but keep it in mind. Thanks Fran.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Hmmm, I'll put that on the back burner for now then, but keep it in mind. Thanks Fran.

It might not be the same for Teddie Alex but I just thought I would let you know how Porsha is with it. You've tried everything else so it might be worth giving it a go??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #53

Maybe we need to concentrate on whats made a difference to teddy good or bad?

What food has made her well - regardless of what the vets says about long term surely any nutrients/feed she keeps in her is doing her good.

What food do you know made her bad immediately?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #54

Very good point, Kazz! Wasn't turkey one of the things that set her off?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
25-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #55

Good thinking... & if the probiotics got her sorted last time, is it worth trying them again (even in the short term) I'll provide the promax. Or whichever one you prefer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #56

See what makes her well is what we need to know.

Then when we find it STAY with it for a few months, say 3 months to build her up.
There is no point trying to introduce something that may make her worse, we need to establish good bacteria in her stomach to fight - as DM said her daughters cat just got better maybe strength and age have something to do with it.

I would happily provide the money for a diet that suits her - first we need to know what it is? Forget what the vets said any food is good food as long as you keep it down.

Thats what I worked on with Oscar - the books vets etc said he needed special food he wouldn't eat it so I reverted to what he liked and it worked he was healthier than cats half his age and without CRF. Why because he ate something and kept it down.

Karen

Edited as I put to many Karen's at the end soz

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #57

Thank you all for trying so hard with Teddie. Right, the hills id worked well with her, but that is a subscription only food, and as we all know my current vet didn't want to have her on that for any length of time as he says it doesn't have enough nutrition (and fish does???). She was doing ok on the fish, but now that is upsetting her too. The promax was great, but again no by my vet for long term use (is a picture developing here?), also metronidazole helped, but no suggestion of using it again from you know who! Any type of processed cat food sets her off very badly as did turkey. She has had chicken in the past with mixed results, but at that time I was feeding it with rice (which seems to be another trigger), and I'm going to try her on chicken today on its own, boiled. She hasn't had anything to eat now for 36 hours (poor baby), so her stomach is completely empty and hopefully any irritation has settled down. I will let you know how we get on with that. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
26-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #58

I am catching up again ........

So sorry to read this, ((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #59

Alex, although it says that it is a Vetinerary Prescription diet, I am under the impression that that is just the name of it and you can buy it over the counter and don't need a prescription for it.

Have a look on here

http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/sea...FThhMAodPmNNcA

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #60

Or here Alex
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...cc458b3d01d520
You can buy 'vet diet' without prescription. I got some of Min's renal diet on line, tho it wasn't much of a price difference.

Edit
I think I've posted this blurb before - it says that the i/d is a complete food and says nothing about not feedong it long-term

Hills prescription diet feline i/d is a highly digestible formula created specifically to help manage cats with GI disorders. There are several types of GI disorders that affect cats', including: colitis, constipation/diarrhoea, gastroenteritis and pancreatitis.

Hills prescription feline i/d indications:
• Gastrointestinal disorders: gastritis, enteritis, colitis, inflammatory bowel disease (i.e. most causes of diarrhoea).
• Recovery from gastrointestinal surgery.
• Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.
• Acute pancreatitis, without hyperlipidaemia.
• Recovery from minor surgical procedures and mildly debilitating conditions.
• Complete for kittens.

Hills prescription feline i/d not recommended for:
Cats with sodium retention.

Hills diet feline i/d additional information:
Provides complete balanced nutrition for growing kittens as well as adult cats.