Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

31-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #1

my Matted maine coon Morphy..

Hi I have a 23 pounder called Moprh who doesn't believe in grooming . At All. he's a slob! He will tolerate a quick brushing, but every spring we get into serious problems as he has a dual coat and it matts to form an almost solid felt layer . I can get to his belly as he's a dafty and loves to have it combed but under his armpits and down his sides are a MESS. Last year I paid a ridiculous amount to have him dematted at the vets but this year I can't afford to..and would rather tackle it myself.

Any suggestions?? Currently I try and remove a bit each day but he's NOT good at lying there..as soon as he sees scissors he's off! he's quite a sensiitve soul and I hate upsetting him but he really needs a good shave!!! My husband tends to pop a sock (no kidding) over his head and trims with scissors but it's a slow process and in the meantime he's getting knottier and knottier.

HELP!!!!!!
Juliex
'mum' to Morpheus (maine coon) and Portia (long hair torty who keeps herself immaculate!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
01-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #2

Re: my Matted maine coon Morphy..

Sorry I cannot help, hopefully someone here can tho x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #3

Sorry - no experience with fluffies. However, here is a link to a recent discussion http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/s...ead.php?t=6679 and I suspect that fluffy owners like Yola and Kay will be around to help you sometime soon.
Good luck!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
20-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #4

I used to have a semi longhaired called Charlie who matted up at least once a year because he would not let you brush him. When they were felted he would actually lie down and let you rip them off a bit like velcrow. He never batted an eyelid. I think what happened was that new fur had grown underneath and the matted hair was just sticking to the new hair not actually still growing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #5

Hmmm. I can't offer too much advise as my persians don't mind brushing (on the whole). And when I do get the occaisonal mat - they will allow me to either comb it out or snip it out!

I think the answer to Morph's problem is to persevere with your 'little and often' routine. If your husband can help you it works better if 2 people are in attendance - and maybe he can distract the mightly Morph whilst you do some serious brushing??

That's all I can suggest I'm afraid . . . but I wish you lots of luck, it can't be nice for him to be all tangly

Cats owned: 5 mogs
18-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #6

hi, my sister is a dog groomer ,and she taught me a little, one thing that comes to mind is that the skin under the arm is very delicate, be careful with the scissors, when i had sam 15 from a rescue maine coon cross, i despaired as he was really knotted, but eventually i managed to gently pull one at a time apart, it took time but i got there, i did bath him as well, you can get detangler shampoos , but i dont know if they work

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
19-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #7

I'm not experienced with grooming long haired cats, but at the moment I have a cat who because of some artheritis can't groom his rear end (he's 14), hes short haired so I've never had to groom him before and he really hates it when I try and get the matted fur off him.
We are trying to give him some positive association about grooming at the moment, so when I groom him he gets some chicken at the same time, We hope with some time that he'll associate being brushed with getting treats - and enjoy it more!
Maybe you could try this too.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
19-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #8

My 15 year old hates being groomed, I tried the little and often last year when he was really matted, but he was getting new ones every day - and he is short haired, but has very thick fur. When he went for his yearly blood tests, I got the vet to help - me and the vet nurse held him, and the vet brushed them out for me. Shortly after, I changed his food, and we dont have issues any more, so he doesn't mind being groomed as much cos it doesn't hurt.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
20-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #9

I have short haired cats, which can groom themselves for the most part and don't mind the odd brush. But you could try giving him a really tasty treat when you groom him, that he only gets when groomed so that he thinks its a good thing. Not sure if it would work but worth a try. If not try getting your own shaver and seeing if he would tolerate having the worst ones shaved off. He might end up looking a bit bald but it might work. Also cat nip or a relaxing cat spray might help a bit.

Let us knw how it goes.

Sally