Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: mancoon
Mikec is Male
07-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #1

problem with our cat

Hi, im looking for some advice,
My cats behavior has changed over the past couple of months an i am at a loss as to what to do about it.
It started a couple of months ago, We went away on holiday for a week and left our cat with free access to the house, A trusted neighbor came in every day to feed and water him. This is was not new as this arrangement had happened before and the cat was used to it.
Things changed when we got back, we noticed that he did not go upstairs anymore and spent most off the days in the living dinning area, where before he would spend it in either of the bedrooms or on the landing.(he would sleep during the day and go out at night).
As time progressed he started to spend more and more time out in the garden during the day, something he had not done before. i may have made this worse as one day he came down the garden path jumped up on the kitchen window to come into the house, and in a moment of jest i popped up and went boo as he did so.... and he responded with hisses and claws... I only did this once and cuddled and stroked him afterwords, And he has shown no signs of nervousness around me since, Though we have tried to encourage him in and given him treats and toys it has now got to the point where he will only come in when feeding, he always looks nervous and weary always looking around before running for the exit, He will sit near the front door as if wanting to come in but when we open it he will run up to the threshold but will not cross it, he has no fear of either of us and he will let us stroke and pet him but he will just not come into the house, He is also not scenting within the house, we think maybe another cat got in while we were away and maybe marked its territory but we cant be sure and have not seen another cat hanging around, we have bought some feliway in the hope that it might make him less nervous while in the house, but it seams to have had no effect.
As i said i am at a loss what to do next, i dont want to lock him in as that may make things worse, but saying that i dont want to wonder off and find a new home... any advice would be gratefully received.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #2

Re: problem with our cat

Have you had him to the Vet to make sure that physically he is ok? If not, that should be your first port of call.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
08-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

Did the person feeding the cat bring a dog or a child with them or something. It sounds like something has happened to your cat in the house and it has badly frightened him. Check with the cat sitter, it is obvious that something or someone has upset him and he thinks it is still in the house.

Mikec is Male
09-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #4

i already did ask her but she did not, and i have known her long enough that i trust her (almost 30 years). i agree with you that i think something happened (apart from my Boo gaff) but this change was happening before i did that

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
09-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Just had a thought. Has he jumped up somewhere and knocked something off with a bang? It is worth taking him to the vet just to get him checked out. Has he got fast in somewhere? Just putting thoughts out there that may have made so frightened. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #6

If your cat's health is ok..Do you have a cat flap? Why I ask is it sounds very much like an intruder got in while you were away, a neighbouring cat, and more than likely marked your cat's favourite place (upstairs, the bedroom) as his own. Get down on your hands and knees and smell all around the house, especially upstairs which was your cat's domain and where he felt secure.

Wash both sides of the cat flap, your cat's reluctance to come indoors will not be helped if a resident cat has sprayed on the outside of cat flap.

Also check your garden/outside area for any 'middening' (where your cat or another cat may have defecated in order to lay claim to or assert your cat's territory).

Always being outside and looking decidedly ragged sounds like your cat is on high alert for the intruder coming in again. Try and get rid of any traces of any other cat, don't welcome any other cats, and give your cats lots of reassurance. Try and spend a little 'together' time outside with him too if you can. Imagine how you'd feel if a burglar got in while you were sleeping..and tried to steal..your house. This is how your cat feels, no wonder he is traumatised.

Mikec is Male
11-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Ass i mentioned before we have not seen any signs of another cat, and this has been going on for about 2 months now, we dont have a cat flap as it would be impractical to put one in, Their is only 2 places that we might be able to put one in, the main door, but that is a high grade security door and the other is a set of patio doors but that is triple pained and would cost a fortune to put in, so we have to leave a window open to allow him access,
He has know started to come in of his own accord to feed, but go`s straight out again and sits by the door. He is also grooming a lot and i understand that is a sign of stress,the whole thing is maddening because he has a home where he is loved and we cant give it to him because of this

Catsey Senior

11-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

I'm sorry your boy is so upset. What is his name if you don't mind me asking..You say he uses the window as access but sits by the door. So he doesn't sit by the door for access, right? but for something else? which is quite telling..

No cat flap doesn't necessarily mean that he does not feel threatened in some way, either indoors or out.
As mentioned before on these behaviour forums our cats can also pick up and be affected by their human's stress, if both or either of you is under undue stress this can also affect your cat.

Sorry to repeat but as Velvet mentioned have you had his health checked recently, 1st port of call. Maine Coons are notoriously known for having silent heart conditions and some cats will wander off looking for a secret place to be where they feel 'safe'. Called the 'dog cat' they also are extremely people orientated, love the outdoors, and have been known to pine awfully for their human when away. I had a Maine Coon for many years, they are very sociable cats!! He may have found it quite upsetting when left without you. Have you anything new and 'smelly' like Glade plug ins or new smells or sounds.. I hope this helps.

Btw I too have d/g patio doors and have had my own home made cat flap for years made of wood with a flap at the bottom, so it is possible to make your own cat flap without even touching the door or cutting glass. Happy to post a photo of it. Not all cats like cat flaps and in some cases It can just add to their stress.

Catsey Senior

12-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #9

You say your cat has access through an open window. What access did he have to outside while you were away? If he had none this may explain his new found reluctance to stay indoors for any length of time. For a cat used to coming and going with people in the house he may now be afraid of being shut in alone again.
If there are no other cats bothering him, as you say, in THIS case it may help alleviate some of the stress by thinking about getting a cat flap at some time so that when you go away again he doesn't feel so lost/bored/shut-in.

Spend time with him indoors doing things he likes so that he gets the positive associations with being indoors again in the house.

Catsey Senior

24-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #10

How is your cat now Mikec, have you found out what is ailing him yet and is he any better..?