Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: cat
14-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

Quantities?

Sorry if this has been done before!

My cat is recently recovering from hepatitis lipidosis (she lost about half her body weight and we almost lost her)
Last weekend we spent it syringe feeding her until monday she started re-eating by herself (i've never been so relieved in my whole life!)

Anyhoo she's currently dissing the vets food (A/D Hills) but is loving Gourmet Gold and Whiskas

Now on the packets it says they should be eating 100g of wet food and 40g of dry food.
Bearing in mind she's an inside cat and her favorite activity is sleeping i'm guessing she should be eating a bit less than that.
She seems to love licking the gravy/jelly bit off the food and eats a bit of the meat but i reckon she's eating inbetween 60-80g and a tiny bit of dry food.... Is this enough? I've got no idea how much she should eat! She's definitly brighter and interracting with us and also put on a bit of weight. Not sure how much forgot to weigh her when she started re-eating (doh!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2

Re: Quantities?

Yes, I do think all depends on the cat's body weight and whether she is under/over-weight. From what you've said (think Garfield!!!) I would suspect she was over-weight before she got ill - but is she now?

If it were me, I would take the dry food away all together and let her eat what she wants until she has the all clear from the vet, especially if she is still taking any medication. Also try and encourage her to drink water as much as possible.

14-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #3

I'd say right now she's probably slightly underweight (will try and weigh her later) She was overweight before. I wouldn't want her to put too much weight back on
I'm probably over thinking and panicking again here! I suspect now she's back to eating she'll eat what she needs? I'm just keeping an eye out if she stops eating all together again...

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

Yes, bit of a balancing act but she needs to recover her strength. Is your vet the sort who could advise you? I notice you are in France and I know nothing about their veterinary system.

15-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

I think i'll try and call in on monday and have a chat with him
She seems to be licking the gravy but not too interested in the meat bit but i chucked a bit of dry food in the mix and she had some of that... have tried mixing a tiny bit of wet food with her dry food see if that helps

I'm also going to start weighing what i put down so i know how much she's taking
tbh the vets haven't been too helpful, the first one just sent her home with her medecine and don't give her red meat, the second one gave us special food for recovering cats and told us to force feed her...

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

You could try and ask about Hepatosyl (Milkthistle) as suggested by Elaine, too. You can probably buy on line and I'm not sure if you have to have a veterinary prescription or not.
http://www.petdispensary.co.uk/shop/...FVJX4QodTX0WKA

Does the vet you go to run a small animal practice?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

Try soaking the dry food first, once soft, mix it though the wet & mash up/mix well with a fork, that way they can't eat just jelly or gravy.

Glad she's recovering xx