Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white kitten
16-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Advice on what food to feed?

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best food to feed my new kitten?

I think I would like to give him mainly biscuits, with 1/2 a pouch of wet in the evening until he is 6 months. Then make that biscuits with a full pouch in the evening.
Does that sound ok?

He is still on the same food he was eating when I collected him (I was given a little bag of food so I can transfer him over safely)

Can anyone tell me what brand of food is best?
I think a mid range food would be best I don't want him on cheapy cheap stuff of course, but equally not the really expensive stuff either

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #2

Re: Advice on what food to feed?

You're wise to keep him on what he's accustomed to as you gradually introduce the new food you prefer. That hopefully will avoid any tummy upsets or diarrhea. There are arguments on each side of the wet vs. dry; I personally prefer a 90% wet diet, avoids the possible cystitis and gets more liquid in the cat. But there are many who will disagree. He needs kitten food at this stage of life, extra protein for the needs of a growing young animal. I'm purposely not mentioning brands as I'm in the States; I know our UK members will be on with specific suggestions. Has he seen the vet yet? He/she could give you feeding tips.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

Hi
Im with Eileen on the wet food debate - until they are older anyway. Our older two at 12 + 14 months eat as much dry as they do wet food and I would say they are weaning themselves more towards the dry food but that is what they want

Our 11 week old kitten was being fed Whiskas kitten - I would have preferred to have got her onto Natures Menu as it is 70% meat however she is not keen at all - she likes the jelly in the Whiskas food As she has not been very well I am going to keep her on wet food for a few months.

Our other two were fed Natures Menu kitten wet food + Proplan dry kibble with our older boy getting Hills Sensitive as he has a sensitive digestion.

Mindy is doing okay on the Whiskas kitten so its really up to yourself. What kitten dry kibble is your kitten getting?

Have you any photos?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

Asking which is the best food can open the flood gates as everyone has their own preference as to whats right for their cat.
Maybe have a look on zooplus, they have a huge selection of foods from all price ranges but you may want to read the reviews, that might help also.

Catsey Junior

16-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

Thank you for the advice both I will look into more wet food than dry - he does seem to drink water well though which is a plus

No, he hasn't seen the vet yet, I only brought him home last night. He will be going to the vet next week for a check

I'm not sure what food it is, i got given a food bag (large size) with a load of the kibble in it. I was told it was a bag from jolleyes (i don't drive and don't have a jollyes near me, hence needing to change over)

I sure do, here he is <3

Catsey Junior

16-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Asking which is the best food can open the flood gates as everyone has their own preference as to whats right for their cat.
Maybe have a look on zooplus, they have a huge selection of foods from all price ranges but you may want to read the reviews, that might help also.
Ah cool thanks.
It's just so difficult to choose, there are so many out there lol.

I will go to read the reviews on zooplus now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #7

Awwww! He is adorable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

He is absolutely gorgeous!

Have you decided on a name yet?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
16-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #9

Aww what a wee cutie! My kitten who was 24 weeks today prefers dry now, he likes the gravy of the pouch and that's it

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
17-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #10

Oh, I could just cuddle your kitten to bits.

Give him whatever food he wants (as long as it's mainly wet food for kittens).