Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Torti, B&W, Tabby, etc
14-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #1

How many pounds of food do 10 cats eat in a month?

How many pounds of (high quality) food do 10 cats eat per month? I'm thinking 25 lbs maybe?

Odd question, I know

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
14-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #2

Re: How many pounds of food do 10 cats eat in a month?

I would have thought a lot more judging how much our 2 eat per day ! Haven't any idea though!! Must try & work it out, purely for interest sake

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
14-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

I think if it was kilos you might be nearer the mark

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinef2
I think if it was kilos you might be nearer the mark
Yes think you are right, did it roughly based on the wet food ours get & not counting the dry food they eat & for two of them it was over tbe 25lb mark!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #5

Interesting question! Just to throw another imponderable into the equation ...... what approx weight are the 10 cats - small, medium or large as the quantity of food daily will differ!

(Hope this is just for fun!!!)

14-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #6

Wow, really? So 55 lbs of food per month?

Quote:
(Hope this is just for fun!!!)
Lol, no. My family and I have 10 cats but my parents buy the food and they don't know how many pounds it would equal to. I'm thinking of buying the food from now on but don't know how much would last 2-3 months (I'd like to buy in bulk). But I can't imagine that they're eating 55 lbs a month. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong...some are overweight so they're definitely not being underfed! I've just never paid any attention to how many bags we're buying, how many lbs they weigh etc..

Regarding weight, it doesn't have to be exact or anything, I just want a general idea. But my heaviest is Phantom (13 lbs) who should lose a pound, maybe two. And smallest is Ash, Sunny, and Hermione who all weigh around 5 pounds. So theres big weight differences.

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Depends what you are feeding, you mention bags, is that good quality dry food? It would probably go a longer way than wet food. You could buy a 15 kilo bag & see how far it goes plus offer them wet food 2-3 times a week. According to My vet they should be on dry food full stop. However they tell you that about dogs too - you would usually go by the condition of the animal, what they like & eat etc. Our daily feed consists of 3/4 wet & 1/4 dry, sometimes half & half for the cats. One is still a kitten albeit an older kitten at 11 months

Have you any photos?

14-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #8

Yeah, I believe in giving wet food. Since cats naturally don't drink enough water, and wet has less calories for my overweight cats, and wet is less processed (less preservatives etc). So we do give a bit of wet everyday. I'm hoping to increase wet soon, they love it anyways.

I'm trying to calculate it all, so I know how much its going to cost, and can determine how long it will last so I'll know how much wet to feed etc.

Yes, here is Hermione. she turned up very, very skinny a few weeks ago on my porch, crying for food (she could see me indoors). She's now 5.4 lbs and currently being spayed She's 5 months. She's a brown tabby, isn't she?

Btw- I'm William on Rabbits United. I know some are members on both forums

I'll post pics of a couple more of my cats in a min, I don't have many on my laptop.

14-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

This is Phantom. My only outdoor cat now, I brought Hermione and Emma in last week after they were tested, dewormed, given shots, etc. Now just have to have Phantom tested and dewormed so I can bring him indoors Its going to be such a relief.

This is Kovu

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

Smashing photos Fawkes! I would say Hermione is a tortoiseshell from that front view.