Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
09-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Raw food for cats

We feed our dogs a raw food (BARF) diet and buy most of their food from a company called Natural Instinct. Some of you may be interested to know that they have just started producing raw food for cats too. http://www.naturalinstinct.com/produ...6-Beef%29.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Re: Raw food for cats

Interesting my two ate a variety of things, and although Cleo would do a MrsBucket and refuse some things including raw. Oz used to adore raw beef (when the dogs had it) or raw beef I had minced never fed the dogs any other meat raw but beef. Always cooked lamb, chicken rabbit etc. But if they liked it I ould in future feed any cat a little raw beef on occasion.
No idea if they ate anything they caught....as if I saw it I would try to remove it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Opps meant to say have order the lambs liver treats from them see what they are like.Ta for the link although I used it in a different way.

Catsey Veteran

10-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Opps meant to say have order the lambs liver treats from them see what they are like.Ta for the link although I used it in a different way.
Glad it was useful, Kazz I don't feed my cats raw, but occasionally they will steal the dogs raw food!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Thanx for the link Kim, am looking into feeding raw too, need to get Raynes tummy sorted out before doing anything there but have been thinking about changing the cats over also.
This is the one I have been looking at.
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/vets.php

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
10-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

I feed Denis raw meat now and again and he smacks his lips while eating it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the link Kim. Merlin used to relish raw beef mince now and again.

Catsey Veteran

10-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Thanx for the link Kim, am looking into feeding raw too, need to get Raynes tummy sorted out before doing anything there but have been thinking about changing the cats over also.
This is the one I have been looking at.
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/vets.php
Darlings is excellent Elaine, I have fed my dogs their food also. However, I find it quite expensive and can't afford to feed them this all the time. Their food is free range though, all British and all human grade. I don't think Natural Instinct is free range, but it is British and fit for human consumption. Green tripe anyone?!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #9

The dogs love green tripe. Ive been told dogs with renal disease can eat it so off to PAH sometime this week to get some frozen blocks. I will try the kitts with some too

At what age can you give/offer cats/kittens chicken wings?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
28-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #10

Thanks for posting this. I have thought about feeding my guys raw a few times as ive heard great things about it, but being veggie i was really put off having to get the meat and prepare it myself etc so this looks like it could definately be an option in the future! AJ is on his prescription diet still at the moment though, think the vet will want to keep him on it a while even though he hasnt had any problems since he first had crystals in august. I did read at one point that a raw diet can help with that too though so might be worth discussing with the vet the next time he has his urine sample tested.

Anyway i worked out the approx cost of feeding the 3 boys raw based on the natural instinct brand and it would cost half of what it costs to feed them bozita/s/o urinary its disgusting how much the prescription diets have shot up in price lately, they know you dont have any other choice but to buy it, but they still make it so expensive luckily, my boys are worth every penny just think it would be better spent on food they would love!