Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
14-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #1

Fatty Cat

Cheddar has been a HUGE food lover from very early on. I was told by everyone to feed him as much as he will eat, especially since I had him from so young. Well, I guess I inadvertently created a monster. He is all about food and every time I go into the kitchen or laundry room he's cutting me off thinking he's getting fed.

He was getting chunky so switched him to an adult cat food with less fat %. I also cut out down his afternoon feeding to a small meal, more like a snack.

He's still looks a bit chunky. It's not like he's obese where you can't feel his ribs at all. It's more like his belly hangs down low. I can feel his ribs when palpated and he's not rounded outwards at the abdomen/back.

I don't have a current profile pic so you can visually see what I mean. He looks a little bit like his mom, but not as saggy. Do you think this could be his body type or is he a fatty?

He kind of looks like these cats:

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #2

Re: Fatty Cat

I'm afraid the saggy tum happens to neutered cats to a greater or lesser degree. As he doesn't go outdoors, I would just cut down his portions at each meal and see if that helps.

Catsey Senior

14-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #3

Ever since I cut down on his food, he's been getting into trouble like jumping up on the kitchen counters looking for food. Is there anything I can add to his food that has no calories but will make him believe he's getting more. I know green beans can be added to dog's meal who need some filler to "feel" full but not sure if there's anything for cats.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
14-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

A good shot of protein will keep him feeling satisfied for longer, the issue with a lot of commercial cat foods is that they have a lot of carbohydrate in them (rice or potato), this can settle as fat on the body if the calories aren't used. Cats don't ordinarily eat carbs in the wild. Here's a couple of tricks to stave off the hunger:

1) Go buy some fresh chicken, cut it up and pop most of it in the freezer in portions, use an ice cube tray at first for little portions if he hasn't had raw chicken before. Cut the fresh chicken up immediately onto a plate and serve. Freeze the rest in the ice cube tray and take out a section the night before serving.

2) Make him work for his food, cats are 'snackers', geared for hunting little mammals, several times a night, by making him work for SOME of his food this will give him something to do and also make it more exciting for him. If Cheddar eats dry biscuits (kibbles), put some in the sections of and egg box, and semi close. Stand back and watch while he plays with his food. This worked for me with a foster cat who loved his food, he became happier and more playful too.

Aside from all of that, cats, like people can get hernias. I doubt it's this but next time he goes for his annual check up get the vet to have a good feel.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
14-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

,,and he's up to date on his worming. That's all I can think of for now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

I like the idea of getting him "hunting" for his food, works best with kibble. I have a little clear plastic ball that you can put kibble in and small amounts fall out when the cat bats the ball about, never predictably. This does work but I have to say that if no kibble pieces are "dispensed" for a while, my Pip looses interest.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
14-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

Can't really help Timber as all of my cats are quite chunky. I am a sucker for giving them treats and feeding them when they are 'hungry'. Fecto has been quite fat but he is also a big cat. He's lost weight now he is older, he's 13 iin June. Having seen pics of Cheddar, I personally don't think he is fat but that's just me. My cats eat more when the weather is colder.

Catsey Senior

15-02-2015, 06:07 AM   #8

Thank you for the ideas. I will try them out.

fecto's mum - my partner is always bugging me about my "fat cat" and makes fun of me because I am pretty strict with my dogs and keeping them at a healthy weight but a sucker for my kitties.

It's not that i'm over feeding them as I don't give treats all that often and reduced portions quite a bit (at least I don't think I do). Maybe it's because Cheddar has become a pretty lazy cat, especially compared to when he was younger, but again he's always been pretty chill too, good balance. I'm rambling now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #9

The laser pens are great for burning off engery ive yet to find a cat that wont chase the beam. Five mins a day several time a day wil soon tone him up.

If his digestion allows it use a grain free food like Orijen - its a US food so im sure you can get it in Canada. Its a bit rich for some of our cats who are on a 'delicate' diet.

Some of ours like to gnaw, RAW chicken wings pre frozen & thawed will provide them with teeth exercising sameas a dog with a bone. When they finish, cats dont gnaw long, the dog is allowed to crunch up & eat whats left.

Ive three will eat raw meat, fish & poultry but only small amounts at a time. If offered the others look in disgust & walk off

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
15-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #10

Timber, I am the same. OH feeds the dogs and keeps them quite fit. They are fed once a day on good quality food. I have dry food down all the time for the cats and they get treats in the morning. I feed them when they 'mither' for food, especially Fecto. They are all spoilt really although none of them are unhealthily fat, Huggins keeps them all on their toes. OH is always telling me I feed them too much.