Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
14-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

Food

I was thinking of contacting pet stores to see if they would consider donating close to expired (unopened) bags of dry cat food or canned. I am not trying to give them 2nd best, but I am a student and am unemployed. I want to make sure I can keep up the resources to keep my cats fed. Is it safe to feed this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

Re: Food

I would think that any cat food marketed as such would be safe to feed, and it's a good idea to ask pet stores in your area. Good luck with that. A branded pet food is sure to have all the necessary things that cats need, like taurine, which they cannot do without and is better for them in the long run than tinned salmon (a lovely treat though)!!!

Your cats that are living rough are sure not to be very picky (like a certain Kizzy who lives in the lap of luxury here is!!!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
14-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

good luck , i hope you manage to get some donations to help out. It is very kind of you to look after the cats

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
14-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #4

Would any of your local animal charities help out? Ask anyone and everyone who you think may be able to help you, even if they say no it's worth a try. I wish you the best of luck with the cats. You are doing a great thing.

Catsey Senior

15-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #5

Thank you. I was just wondering if feeding old food would be ok. The salmon is a treat, I add a spoonful to their food.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
15-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #6

I have been given out of date food by my local pet shop and have had no ill effects. I don't give it to them if it is months and months out but a couple of weeks is OK in my opinion. Our large pet supermarket sells 'last date' pet food off cheap as well, I've had some good bargains.

I would think any feral cat is grateful for any food but I can understand your worry. Rule of thumb could be would you give it to your dogs.

Have you managed to locate a trap yet?

Catsey Senior

17-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #7

Not yet. I'm waiting to see what the SPCA says about getting them neutered first. I don't want to catch them then not know what to do with them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
17-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #8

My daughter works for a well known pet food company and she says you can feed tinned/pouch cat food up to 3 months after the sell-by date