Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #11

Re: Why does it cost so much too neuter/spay your animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I agree with you Yola and Elaine, but does that mean people who are on low incomes shouldn't be afforded the companionship of a pet? We all know the importance of speying etc, but vets don't exactly make it easy for people do they, when the charge such exorbitant rates!! If things continue as they are, then only the wealthy will be able to afford animals.
Not at all Alex, but they should think long and hard about how they are going to afford necessary things such as neuter/spey, at the end of the day the animal will only have to be neutered/speyed once, therefore a one off payment. Many people are also in a postion/location where there is more than one vet surgery and can shop around a bit with regards to prices, then there is also the option of the PDSA and RSPCA/SSPCA if people qualify.
I agree that vets can be a very expensive business and beleive me I know from experience, you have no idea how much i spent on dear old Winston, never grudged a penny of it but it did mean that my social life pretty much ended and i also did car boot sales etc. We managed, we had to in order to help the old fella.
I also know that you struggled when poor Teddie was sick, so I know exactly what you are saying Alex but there are those, and they are many, who go get a pet just coz they want one and havent thought of the animals needs or what they would do should anything go wrong.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #12

Sorry to hear you bunny is pregnant, I will say no more, as I'm sure people will know how I feel about breeeding. However you will need to remove her from the male before she has her babies, as she will come into season immediately after giving birth and if the male is there she will fall pregnant again- this will not be fair on her, as it is she is very young to be having a litter in the first place, and won't have stopped growing herself.

The reason, I've been told, that rabbit neutering costs so much is because weight for weight a higher dose of aneaesthetic is required for a rabbit compared to a dog or a cat, it is also a more time consuming op due to the size of the rabbit.

Personally, I don't think the cost of an animal to should be a consideration as to how much you spend after, if you take on a life it is your resposiblity and and in my eyes no animal is more important than another.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #13

And as to the general cost of the vets, I think perhaps we are spoiled by the NHS. I had a carpal tunnel op in June paid by BUPA, it was a local anaesthetic and took 15 mins, no antibiotics afterwards and it cost £1175.00. So be greatful we don't have to pay those kinds of bills. Also vets work very long hours, there is a vet available day or night with ours, and yes it costs you, but by god I have been very grateful many times when they have come our at 2 in the morning to deal with an ill animal.

If you are struggling, talk to the vet and ask if you can pay by direct debit, if you expalin your situation many are willing to help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
18-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #14

IF she is pregnant farthing i am going to seperate her on Monday. I have a slightly smaller hutch which the male buscuit is going to go in. I am then going to get buscuit done first and then Angel done after she has had the baby's. I am then going to another bigger cage for buscuit. I do not intend for her to have another litter.

jane

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
22-09-2008, 02:44 AM   #15

the only way you will get help paying for things like this is if you are on Housing benefit, already looked into it!

my old vets was charging £150!!! to neuter a small dog!! £150!! my NEW! vets only charges £75! half the price and its only in the next town!

to spay/neuter a cat its £25! i think that is really good

to microchip its only £12.50, half the price of another vets i went too

i think that consultatations should be cheaper, £18.50 just for a quick 5 min check up!

im sure that could be brought down?

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #16

I am going to take Chester, Troy, Angel(in seperate cage now and not pregnant) and Buscuit to the vets sometime next week to find out when i can get them all neutered and spayed. Money isnt a problem its the varing prices from vets to vets that got me. A very good friend is paying for all of them to be done, we used to look after her jack when no one else would and she has never forgotten it.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #17

deleted post

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH
23-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #18

Glad to hear she isn't pregnant and that you are getting them all sorted out.

An extra benefit from having Angel done is that her risk of uterine cancer if left unspayed is about 80% so this way you'll remove that risk as well as that of pregnancy.

You may need to be patient with the rebonding when she gets back from the vets as she'll be a bit sore.

Catsey Veteran

25-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #19

I'm going to ask about when i can bring them in when i take troy and chester next wednesday.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
26-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #20

Id never get a rabbit spayed again, that's how I lost mine, the risk is so much higher in rabbits than cats and dogs, if I were you Jane i'd get the boy done as it is a much simpler op and eave the girl or just keep them separate. JMO of course. I believe the PDSA does spay/neuter for £25 for cats? I don't know about vouchers and things but I think the RSPCA gives them out? Not sure how you apply though or if it covers the whole cost or not.

When I first got Charlie (one of my dogs) I wasn't working as my son was just a baby then and I remember getting a voucher from dogs trust to get Charlie done and i think it cost me £15. I'm not sure if they still do it as it was before they changed their name to dogs trust, but there are organisations that help with neutering. I honestly can't remember how much my bunny was to spay.