Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #11

Re: Excessive bank charges - anybody going to complain to their bank?

I was thinking of this the other day, as this year alone nationwide has had over £260 in charges off me, quite a few for being LESS than a pound short of the payments they charged me for. BUt the only website I could find to help wanted £35 from me, which I thought a scam in itself.

It annoyes me how adirect debit for a fiver didnt get paid cos i was 23p short, and they charged me £30. OK,i know it was my fault for being 23p short, but the charge seems over excessive to me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #12

CJK over the years these charges can really add up, we haven't had many for quite a few years now, but we did (obviously now looking at the figures) get charged quite a lot in the past. Just think CJ is the nationwide has had £260 this year if you have paid that sort of level of charges in the last 6 years, that is a lot of money (well so is £260!)

I don't think many people would dispute the banks having to cover the cost of administering an account when it does overdrawn but it certainly doesn't cost £35 per transaction!!!!

Looking back to 2000 with our Abbey account, they use to charge £5 for going overdrawn now it is £35!!!

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #13

The process of reclaiming the charges is fairly simple, we have got another big one (with Abbey around £4,000) and then I have got a few smaller ones to go after, but looking back over the last 6 years there is over £10,000!!! in total

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #14

I am just taking a look around that website you put the link to.
At first glance it looks complicated, but I'm still flicking about here and there browsing really.

I think it is a terrible amount they charge,and if so many people are successfully reclaiming charges, why dont they just lower them? As you say it doesnt cost £35 to tell you a payment was missed etc.

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #15

Also CJ is does penalize the people who perhaps are living just within their means one mistake and it can spiral into some terrible debts.

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #16

I had terible trouble when i was on benefits a few years back. DSS didnt tell me payment dates changed over xmas and new year. I thought they would have been fine as none were bank holidays. Cos of this five direct debits didnt get paid, so you can imagine being on beenfits, and trying to pay FIVE charges in one go, it had a knock on effect for months, cos then the next weeks direct debits werent met.
In the end I had to cancel all direct debits and try and catch up paying cash at post office. it took me months to get over it.

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #17

Are you going to have a go at getting your charges back CJ?

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #18

yes, I am indeed, worked it out that since may 05 (cant see online statemenets past then) it comes to £330 in charges!!!!!!

and thats just in 15 months alone.
I think it is well worth a go.

I didnt realise it was against UK law for them to charge like that though

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
19-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #19

A dogsey member go their money back as well: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=41262

Think I will have to look into it too!

Good luck to all of you who try

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: common british cats
30-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #20

i would like to do this , if anyone can help me please?? i have been with my bank only nearly 3 years so do i count???