Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Siamese, Oriental
06-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #1

Campylobacter Kitten!

Hi!
I wonder if any one has any advice for me, becomming a bit desperate now. It started with us bringing home a lovely new siamese boy Simba in December. Our 6 year old cat Squeak appeared lonely and we thought he needed some company... The kitten was hapopy and lovely but a bit poorly (really runny dihaorrea) from the start, with many visits to the vet and worried calls to the breader. In the end we found out that it was campylobacter causing the problem. By that time Squeak was also infected... We started them on a three week course of antibiotics. Simba got Eurythromycin and Squeak got Marbocyl. It appeared to clear the problem up quickly when they were on the drugs, but two weeks after the problem returned. Since the vet now thougt Simba was old enough (6 months) for the Marbocyl we got a new course of that for both of them. The problem is it has now been 2 weeks and the dihaorrea is back! Simba has trouble making it to the litter tray and has unfortunate accidents with "leakage" on many occations..I have tried to find out information and tips on the internet and books but cant find that much. Will go back to the vet again this week but worried that they only will give more of the same drug that didnt work....
Has anyone had any similar experiences with campylobacter and what did you do to get rid of it?
Would be so greatful for any help!

xxCec

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #2

Re: Campylobacter Kitten!

hi & welcome to Catsey.
Has your vet retested the cats faeces? The erythromycin should have cleared the campylobactor. Maybe there's an underlying problem causing the diarrhoea?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #3

Warm welcome to Catsey!

I have no experience of campylobacter although my siamese kitten who has similar symptoms was diagnosed with Giardia. Luckily no else here caught it although everyone was treated just in case but it seems the constant episodes of diarrhoea she had as a baby may have permanently damaged her gut and she may always have episodes of diarhoea. She's having a bowel biopsy next week.

I agree with Smudgley, it would be worth sending more faecal samples from both your cats. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy
06-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #4

Hi and welcome to catsey.
My advice would only be the same as Smudgley and Fran have said.
Good luck and take care.
xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #5

Farn and Alex have had similar problems,with their cats, although from a different cause. I agree that more samples may help your vet get to the cause of the recurring problem. Good luck, do let us know what happens!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
07-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #6

Welcome to Catsey

Sorry to hear both your cats are poorley. I haven't had any experiance with your problem but I would go with the advice both Fran and Smudgley have offered. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #7

Welcome to Catsey!

I hope you can find the answer to your cat's problem .......please do let us know how you get on..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
07-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #8

Hello and welcome to Catsey.

I'm so sorry to hear that you have poorly babies.

I can't offer any further advice I'm afraid, but please keep us posted.

We'd love to see pics of your babies too pleaseeeeeeeee!!

Cats owned: Siamese, Oriental
08-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
hi & welcome to Catsey.
Has your vet retested the cats faeces? The erythromycin should have cleared the campylobactor. Maybe there's an underlying problem causing the diarrhoea?
Hi! Thank you for your reply! Yes we had two samples done, the first one that indicated the campylobacter and then the second one after 3 weeks treatment that actually came up clear! But when exactly the same symptoms (the same smell, diahorrea, wind, and bloated belly) showed up again two weeks after we stopped the Eurythromycin, we assumed it was back and the vet gave us the Marbocyl. Do you know anything about this drug? Our vet says this is the preffered treatment for campylobacter but I can find very little about it on the net?
Greatful for any help!
xxcecilia

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilia
Hi! Thank you for your reply! Yes we had two samples done, the first one that indicated the campylobacter and then the second one after 3 weeks treatment that actually came up clear! But when exactly the same symptoms (the same smell, diahorrea, wind, and bloated belly) showed up again two weeks after we stopped the Eurythromycin, we assumed it was back and the vet gave us the Marbocyl. Do you know anything about this drug? Our vet says this is the preffered treatment for campylobacter but I can find very little about it on the net?
Greatful for any help!
xxcecilia
You may find these links helpful, Cecilia ....

http://www.vetstreamcanis.co.uk/corp...cyl/datach.htm
http://www.vetstreamfelis.co.uk/Corp...cat/marbo3.htm
http://www.my-pets-own-vet.co.uk/marbocyl.html