Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabby's: Tiki & Inki
20-03-2007, 03:41 AM   #1

Any Help on cat fight injuries?

Inky got into a squabble with a stray cat out here. One foot with a small puncture wound, 2 toenails ripped, one foot very swolen & extreamly tender.
My hubbie & I are soaking all injuries in a warm benedyne solution. We also used peroxide to bubble out germs from the pucture wound.

My concern is what to do for the swollen paw. I tried to stablize the food but he managed to get the splint off. I could try again, but it is so painful for him.

I would take him to the vet but Friday my hubby fell at work & broke his hip, so our income is shakey right now.
So any input will be appreciated for Inky's sake.
Thanks, All!!!!
Sassiecath

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #2

Re: Any Help on cat fight injuries?

Blimey that must have been some cat fight for him to sustain such terrible injuries I'm not sure I'd use peroxide Could you try confining him in a crate for a while to encourage him to rest that paw? A vet visit may be necessary though because apart from anything else cat bites notoriously turn nasty and he may need a course of Antibiotics. Good luck and do let us know how he gets on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #3

Agree with Fran about keeping a close eye for infection.
You could consider using arnica for the bruising? The cream is great for human bumps but you might have to look at pilules or suspension for cats - I'm sure they'd lick gooey stuff.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
You could consider using arnica for the bruising? The cream is great for human bumps but you might have to look at pilules or suspension for cats - I'm sure they'd lick gooey stuff.
Arnica is available in drop form that you can put on the nose/mucous membranes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
20-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #5

I agree with Fran, anti-biotics may well be necessary and a crate confinement is an excellent idea to give that paw chance to begin to heal.
Dawn.

Catsey Junior

20-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #6

Thank you all for your responce to my post. I really appreciate it.

I am keeping a close eye on him. He does not WANT to do anymore walking then he absolutly has to so I don't have him confined.

I used the peroxide on the one foot only because it was a puncture wound & I felt the bubbling would clean it better. It has sealed & seems to be fine.

The vet showed me how to soak his claws in the Benodine for the wounded toenails so I know that is okay. He is getting Tremidol for the pain since I got that recently from the vet for my other cat. He only get's that once a day, just to ease the pain so if he NEEDS to go to the litter box, he can do his business.

I have some antibiotics on hand but don't want to put him on that unless I really have to. I think I will take him into the vet just in case. That way, if they find something I missed, he will get the help he deserves, poor baby....

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Sassiecath...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #7

I would just add here; tread with caution and watch Inky very carefully. My Mum's previous cat was involved in a fight with another cat/dog/fox - we're not sure. Anyway he sustained an undetected puncture wound (the vet missed it), and ended up with setpaceamia with sadly, carried him off far too quickly.

A strong dose of anti-biotics might be wise just as a precaution. Oh, and I do hope your husband mends soon - that fall sounds very nasty indeed

Catsey Junior

21-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #8

Will do, Thanks for your input & well wishes for my hubby. I don't know what I'd do without him!
sassiecath...