Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tiger & Daisy
27-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #1

Don't know what's wrong. Is this normal?

Last night I heard my cat crying at the door when I let him in he was wet and he didn't come running in like he usually does. I picked him up to dry him off and his body was lifeless and he had blood on his nose. He body was jerking like a dog does when he's about to throw up. My husband rushed him to a vet and they said it looks like he got into a fight. They noticed a scratch on his nose and around his eye. They said his claws looked frayed but he seems to be ok. When he came home he went to hid in the closet. When I woke up this morning I couldn't find him we finally found out that he climed into the walls from inside the closet which he does from time to time but he won't come out. Is this behavior normal? Should I be worried that he won't come out. I am getting really nervous that there is maybe something more wrong with him or could he just be tramatized?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #2

Re: Don't know what's wrong. Is this normal?

It sounds like the poor boy has had a really bad fright, and is still stressed....I would leave him alone and let him calm down, if you are worried at all call the vet, they will be able to advise you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
27-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #3

Hi and welcome to Catsey.

Wow, poor baby! Sounds to me like he's had a heck of a fright and wants to hide to recover. Personally I would just put his litter tray in the room with him (if he uses one) put some food and water in too, close the door and leave him to come out when he's ready. It does sound like he's had a bit of a scrap and if he's not used to it, it can be very scary. Let us know how he gets on please.

27-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #4

Moli, thanks for your response. I am going to wait till I get home and see if he will come out for me. If he don't come out by tomorrow morning I am going to call the vet.

27-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #5

alexgirl73 thanks I hope that's all it is. He is a very gentle cat. I know my female cat would have been fine but he's not a fighter. Someone jinxed me a 2 weeks ago by commenting on how I shouldn't let my cats out but is it so hard to keep them in and I never let them out over not for for too long a period. I am always on top of where they are and won't got to sleep until they are inside.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #6

Is it possible he's been hit by a car? frayed nails is what nudged my memory. Or possibly been brushed by a car while trying to escape maybe from a cat or dog?

I would leave him be and put a litter tray in the room and if no better or you get more concerned then back tin contact with your vet. Hope he's settled down soon.

Oh and don't be worried someone jinxing you about letting them out, my Cleo is 24 and she has been out and about when she wants to all her life no harm done - cats will be cats.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #7

It does indeed sound like you cat's in shock. I would leave him be but keep a frequent eye on him - shock can be dangerous in itself. Did the vet xray your cat? Did he check for any breakages or signs of internal injury? If your cat HAS been hit by a car he really should have a full medical. But if he's been in a fight you should check for puncture wounds to the skin as it wouldn't do for these to get infected.

Please let us know how you and your cat get on. What's his name by the way?

27-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #8

His name is Tiger. I don't think he was hit by a car bec. he had a scratch on his nose and eye. My husband took him to the vet and said they checked him pretty throughly but i was suprised they didn't do any xrays. When I went out front to call him I saw 2 cats across the street watching me and I thought that kind of weird and then a few minutes later was when I found him by the back door. There are a lot of wild animals in my neighborhood bec. we live near the woods and the beach. I have a deck in my back yard and I know at night time animals come out from under my deck looking for food. I have watched them from time to time looking for my dogs food so I take it in now. Well I guess all I can do is pray and keep my eye on him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #9

The frayed claws made me think at once of being hit by a car; could he have been in a fight and then hit slightly as he was running home? I'd keep a very close eye on him and contact the vet at once if he seems worse. Poor Tiger, hope he is better soon!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
27-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #10

i had more or less the same thing years ago with a male cat i found him sitting under a car wailing his claws were frayed but i hadnt noticed that at first all i saw was what looked like a pellet wound but the vet said because of his nails he had been hit by a car.he went on to make a full recovery but took time for the shock and i guess if ur tiger is a timid type of cat it will take him slightly longer.i do hope he is ok again very soon.love to you both