Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
26-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #1

leukemia vacc... necessary?

hey guys, im taking keanu for a checkup at the vets on wednesday, just routine.

anyway, when i picked him up from the breeder he had already had his vaccinations, but she said she didnt do the leukemia one as she has found it makes them all very ill.

so do i need to get it done?

also, what age is best to microchip? the breeder said its best to get done when he is neutered because they are sensitive, whats everyones thoughts on this? im scared to death he is going to get out the front door and we will lose him, esp if he isnt chipped or collared!

oh, and also, he looks like hes got a sore on his chin, im wondering if perhaps indie has just caught him, or if it is something else.

i know the vet will advise me on all this on wednesday, any thoughts until then??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #2

Re: leukemia vacc... necessary?

Will Keanu have any access to the outside at all? including a cat proofed garden? or contact with any cats that have outside access? if the answer to this is yes then I would definitely have the Leukamia vaccination done, all mine are Leukaemia vaccinated including my Orientals and Siamese who are indoor only cats but live with my moggies who go outdoors.

Regarding microchipping, the procedure is so quick that I personally would have it done sooner rather than later..Bliss my Oriental girl never even flinched when she was chipped at 20 weeks old and Orientals are much finer with less substance than Bengals

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #3

Cassie has the Leukaemia vac and has no ill effects from it at all.

She is also chipped and didn't even flinch at that ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
27-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #4

All the rescue cats are vaccinated before leving here. Inc Leuk - never had an ill one yet.

the microchipping is a simple procedure that takes a few seconds. I've done kittens at 5 weeks old & they don't even feel it! I've said this a million times on here, but from someone who holds a register of all the lost & found cats in the area..... the ones who are microchipped at least have half a chance of getting home.

Ask the vet to check the chin on Wed.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 ginger (dsh) 1 male 1 female
27-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #5

leukemia vacc doesnt always work they can still die even thou they are vaccinated and i would micro chip asap, i would just bath his chin in some hibiscrub
ATD xxx

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
27-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #6

hey guys,
yeh he does go outside on a harness, and plus we have the dog who is outside everyday for walks, so i guess she could carry it in.

i really want to get the chip done, just the breeder put me off saying they dont like it. So i think i will get that done on wednesday as i would rather not lose him, esp at this age when i feel he is most vulnerable to being picked up!

ive put some tea tree cream on his chin.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
27-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #7

I think I've heard about cats getting sores on their chins sometimes... Something to do with plastic bowls and some cats having sensitive skin? If you have plastic bowls, could you try metal or ceramic ones instead?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
27-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #8

Hi Jenny,

I would definitelty have the leukemia vacc - esp given my recent experience with William (see other threads for this!!). Better to be safe than sorry. All my lot have had it and with no side effects or illness.

With regard to chipping - I agree that you should have this done sooner rather than later. Most of mine had this done at the same time as neutering, apart from Bernard and Lily who had it done when awake. Neither of them were bothered by it. It's quite a big needle, but all over in a second.

Finally, could his chin be feline acne? Abi gets this and it sometimes looks a bit sore and pink and will sometimes look like blackheads. Could it be that? You can just bathe it with some warm salt water and wipe it off usually. It's not a big problem and normally just because they don't clean their chins properly after eating.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
27-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #9

[quote=jenny;346936]hey guys,
yeh he does go outside on a harness, and plus we have the dog who is outside everyday for walks, so i guess she could carry it in.

Did you mean the dog could carry it in? If so it is species specific - so the dog could not bring FeLV to your cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #10

Regarding the FeLV jab and the micro chipping, I have only ever heard of a few cats that became ill or found it painfull.

I would definately have both done asap.

I do worry about over vaccinating our animals but thats a different issue all together.