Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Teddie very bad again

Smudgley suggested I start a thread here, re my post in the daily thread. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Teddie has had very bad runs again all last night, though she has been runny for the last 2 weeks, and I've spent all morning cleaning up runny poo from my living room and kitchen. She is only having fish, so I've no idea of the cause of it all, as far as I know she hasn't picked up any other food stuff as I'm vigilant about that now. I'm having to ask myself what is the best thing for Teddie, and I'm wondering whether it would be best to give her up to someone who can afford to run all the tests she needs to find out the underlying caus of it all. I don't know what to feed her now, although I am starving her again today. She doesn't have any other symptoms apart from this chronic diarrhea, the previous tests the vet ran came back negative for parasitic causes and I'm just at my wits end. I haven't stopped crying all morning 'cause this is just breaking my heart.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
25-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #2

Re: Teddie very bad again

Did the pro-biotic help when you tried that before?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

Have you been able to register with a PDSA vet yet Alex?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #4

Alex I'm so sorry to read this.
You have tried everything within your means haven't you. No-one would criticise you if you did determine to give Teddie up to a home where, maybe, further vet work could pinpoint the cause and find a treament. However, look at Porsha - had all the tests under the insurance and still nothing - like Teddie she is well or she is ill, with no apparent trigger.

This is a very wicked thought of mine, so I'll say it very faint. If Teddie went to a new home, and the new owner insured her, and stated that they did not know any previous history because Teddie was a stray who had just walked in on them, or even if she could be relocated quietly via a rescue, without giving them medical details, then, after the qualifying period, she would be insured and could be properly investigated. It would have to be a good insurer, as it might be a long lasting condition requiring ongoing treatment. At least they could take a gut biopsy when she was speyed, so that would be a bit cheaper.
Cough cough, did I say that?

Anyway Alex - my sympathy with you. Remember my daughter's cat was so bad I was almost pleading with her to give up and have him pts, for everyone's sake, so I'm certainly not thinking you should go on and on and on. You have your own health (sure stress doesn't help you) and your family to put in front of a cat, no matter how charming a cat.
Take care x

Cats owned: Birman
25-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #5

Hi Alex, as you can see I don't post very much but tend to lurk in the background!! But I just wanted to say that I've been following Teddie's progress throughout all the posts that have been made about her. I wish I could tell you something that would help. All I can say is that I'm thinking of you and the lovely Teddie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #6

That's a nice post Reddaisy.

Alex - hope my last post wasn't too negative. It's difficult.

Anyway, by way of penance I've been doing a bit of research. Here's a link to homeopathic remedies http://www.caninecaregroup.net/dholi...ACH%20PROBLEMS

and here's a link to a whole site on feline diarrhoea. It's a US site, so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be
http://www.colonbowelproblems.com/feline-diarrhea.html ... mm, I've tried to go through it but it gets mixed up with human and feline. There's this product http://www.allergicpet.com/products/...FRO_XgodMX40dw but probably only available in the US - you'd need to speak nicely to Dandysmom.

Thinking of you x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #7

http://www.catclinic.co.uk/index.htm
They have a forum whereby you get advise from vets.

Catsey Veteran

25-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Did the pro-biotic help when you tried that before?
Yes the pobiotic helped Smudgley, however when it was stopped the runs began again, and I was informed by the vet that using it long term wouldn't solve any underlying problem. When I used the powder probiotic, it didn't help at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Have you been able to register with a PDSA vet yet Alex?
I can't get her registered with the PDSA until she is well enough to pass a vet check Catch 22 situation. I did however email PDSA yesterday and I'm awaiting a response from them as to whether I could register her at the PDSA pet hospital in Wolverhampton. They don't usually let you if you are not in their catchment area, so will have to wait and see what they say
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddaisy
Hi Alex, as you can see I don't post very much but tend to lurk in the background!! But I just wanted to say that I've been following Teddie's progress throughout all the posts that have been made about her. I wish I could tell you something that would help. All I can say is that I'm thinking of you and the lovely Teddie.

Thank you very much Reddaisy. It's nice of you to post and follow Teddies progress.

DM. No, your post wasn't too harsh or anything, it is only what I have been thinking too. I have pulled myself together a bit after this morning, going to Church always helps me to be in a better frame of mind. Anyway, I have decided to do a round of the various vets in Telford tomorrow and try and find one that I feel will be able to help more than the one I am currently registered with. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find one with a better knowledge of cat problems. I'm also going to try her on chicken tomorrow instead of the fish, not exactly going to do any more harm at this point. I will also enquire to the cost of testing for IBS etc and whether this could be the actual problem.

Thank you all once again for your support for my little angel. I honestly don't know whether I could bear to see her go elsewhere, and whether I'm being selfish if I do keep her. I will keep you all informed of her progress. xx

Catsey Veteran

25-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #9

Oh, and Elaine thank you for that link. I'll check it out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #10

{{{Hugs}}} Alex, did your vet mention how difficult it is to pick up certain parasites in stool samples? Often many samples need to be sent. Just because Teddie had a negative test doesn't mean there aren't any parasites. Just a thought as it really could be something a simple as this. How did she respond when she had the Metronidazole?