Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: DSH
20-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #1

Constipation

I recently adopted 12 year old Nemo - he was in an animal rescue centre that was closing down (having ended up there because his previous owner moved to a place that does not allow pets). I know that he has a heart murmur/enlarged ventricle - which he is under the vets for. He hardly poos at all (doesn't eat much either), several times though I've seen him get in to his litter tray & adopt the poo position, he strains but nothing comes out. I bought some pet laxative but he doesn't like it & getting it down him is very difficult (it's a paste, pills would be better - he's on heart pills & the rescue place I got him from gave me a thing which amazingly gets them down his throat). I've got some human constipation pills which I dare not give him - even though my mother is actually prescribed the same heart pills (same dosage too) by her doctor as what the vet prescribed for Nemo! So any suggestions on how to get Nemo to do a decent poo?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
25-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

Re: Constipation

When my girl Beauty had constipation I found putting the paste on her paw helped (she licked it off)

Cats owned: DSH
25-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Nemo has now been to the vets & had an enema. He his been prescribed lactulose.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthair
04-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Never ever give your cat human medication.

Most constipation is related to under-hydration and inactivity, so to minimise the chances of it coming back, feed primarily wet food, encourage drinking (I put salmon oil in my cat's water now and again to encourage him to drink), and encourage lots of play.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
11-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

1 of my cats has trouble going to the loo sometimes and we have a liquid medicine we wee given by the vets to give him. When he gets it, it really does help