Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
28-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #1

rescue dog policy (neutering)

Now I'm not want to usually start a debate & neutering is the one thing that people often feel strongly about.
I'm not wanting to know if you breed from or neuter your own animals...put them aside for a minute and let me know your thoughts on this.

On a dog forum that I go on, there's a debate about neutering rescues. Won't say anymore at this stage other than what are your thoughts....(talking dogs here)
I'm happy to tell you my views on this but wondered what you lot think first.

Do most breed rescues that you are aware of neuter?

Do you know any that don't?

Should they?

What about if a rescue didn't neuter & placed entire dogs?

What about if a rescue couldn't afford to neuter?

really intersted to hear your thoughts!

Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #2

Re: rescue dog policy (neutering)

My tuppence worth (for what it's worth lol) Is that dog rescues should work on the same principle of cat rescues! Almost all cat rescues neuter as soon as a cat is brought in, dogs should be the same. Many people let their dogs roam the streets the same as cats do (my street has loads out on their own), and as with cats, It's better for the animal to be neutered.

I don't know about the cost factor as I've no idea how much it costs to do a dog nowadays, but I do think it should be done as a rule.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
28-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #3

In my opinion there are too many strays, and all cats and dogs alike, who have been rescued should be neutered whether they are a particular breed or moggy or whatever a non breed dog is called .

Catsey Veteran

28-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #4

Mongrel.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
28-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #5

I personally think there are to many so called rescues about that say they spay, then when it comes to the crunch they dont with exuses like, sorry but he/she was not doing well in kennels. We had to get he/she out. It's then down to the new owner to get it done. OK some say if you dont send proof in 6 months we will take the dog back. It never happens.
If rescues dont have the resourses to spay they shouldnt be doing it.
I could get on my soap box but I wont.
At the end of the day, there are too many dogs/cats in rescue or abandond through ignorance.
Unfortunatly it's a throw away sociaty now a days. Whether pedigree, mungrel or moggy.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
28-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #6

LOl thanks that word just seemed to escape me lol x

Catsey Veteran

28-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
I personally think there are to many so called rescues about that say they spay, then when it comes to the crunch they dont with exuses like, sorry but he/she was not doing well in kennels. We had to get he/she out. It's then down to the new owner to get it done. OK some say if you dont send proof in 6 months we will take the dog back. It never happens.
If rescues dont have the resourses to spay they shouldnt be doing it.
I could get on my soap box but I wont.
At the end of the day, there are too many dogs/cats in rescue or abandond through ignorance.
Unfortunatly it's a throw away sociaty now a days. Whether pedigree, mungrel or moggy.
This is my thoughts exactly Jac
I've recently been going on a Rotti forum & somehow a debate started about breeders & one about rescues. I just read the posts & took it all in, but then they started talking about donations etc & then neutering. Some of the Rotti rescues don't neuter. Which I just find totally unbelievable. I can't believe that a rescue - a well known breed specific rescue(not just one, but 2 or 3 of them) don't neuter, I thought all rescues did & I think it's totally irresponsible. There arerescues that do... & if I was to get a rotti rescueI certainly know now who it would be through, but big strong dgs like Rottweilers, being placed with people uneutered....
Nothing against people who choose to or not to neuter their own dogs, that is very different. this is poor darlings who've found themselves in a rescue with an uncertain future....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
28-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #8

Yeh they say they dont have the funds!!!!! Have you seen how much of a "donation" they ask?? Pure dribble. Ofcourse they can afford it, If they cant then they should'nt be "rescueing"
Another point. A donation is exactly that....a donation, but they put a price on how much of a donation they want. That's not a donation that's selling.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 Good 'ol Moggies =)
29-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #9

I think all rescue dogs should be neutered, regardless of breed.
I am aware of a lot of breed specific rescues who dont neuter and some who advise against it! *shock* which in my opinion is just wrong, a dog in rescue shoud not be given the oppertunity to possibly breed, chances are it has some issues related to non-neutering which is why its in rescue in the first place. I know of a boxer rehomed from a boxer rescue who is now being used as a stud dog *mad*.
I find that all breed rescues neuter all dogs, breed specific rescues tend to not or dont enforce it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
29-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Yeh they say they dont have the funds!!!!! Have you seen how much of a "donation" they ask?? Pure dribble. Ofcourse they can afford it, If they cant then they should'nt be "rescueing"
Another point. A donation is exactly that....a donation, but they put a price on how much of a donation they want. That's not a donation that's selling.
I am with Jac on this one, if you run a rescue, every dog thats is rehomed should be neutered, I know of someone who took on a pedigree rescue and used it for breeding!!!!No body did a follow up, so do not know about it...