Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Litter

Sometimes think im obsessed with the stuff

Ive been using PAH ultra white non clumper. Its pretty good stuff. Not unlike Catsan. After breaking 2 lifters trying to get "clumps" off floor of litter trays, gave up with clumping litter & went onto non clumping litter

How many changes would you get from a 10 litre bag of litter? I use it twice but wonder should i use less & make it last longer? Both kittens use the same box despite having 2 boxes near each other!

Clean it out at least once a day & do a total change every other day as i think with two using it, keeps it fresher for them

Just curious what other folk think & do With clumping litter always had it deep for the "clumps" so wonder if i need to use less of the non clumper

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
09-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

Re: Litter

sorry, no ideas i always use wood pellets. i did try catsan once and i didnt like it, scratched the tray and didnt seem to absorb the wee very well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #3

I have about 2 inches depth - clean poo when I see (or smell) it! lol

Empty it every other day.

No idea how long a bag lasts as I fill an old feed bin - about 3 bags and just keep topping it up, as does OH.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

I didn't like the clumping litter. nor did the cats. I use the regular unscented clay supermarket brand, have for years. Filled about 3" or a tad deeper; scoop as needed daily.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

I like a clumping litter! Well, my two seem not to care. I use Cats' Best which is made from corn husk or similar and is flushable and compostable. Pip seems to be using it nightly atm. Not sure if something has scared him outside, but he stays indoors most nights ...... on our bed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
09-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I like a clumping litter! Well, my two seem not to care. I use Cats' Best which is made from corn husk or similar and is flushable and compostable. Pip seems to be using it nightly atm. Not sure if something has scared him outside, but he stays indoors most nights ...... on our bed!
I've started using that- can it really last as long as they claim?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #7

Yes - I find it does, but my two are really only occasional users. I may reconsider if Pip keeps using it at night though!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Could be a fox out and about this time of year Angie or a she cat come into call and Toms on the prowl.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #9

I used to use Thomas cat litter when in the flat I liked that and the cats did too. Did not use auything when moved here to a house but got Catsan when Cleo got older...and found that good too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #10

From what everyone says I am using it a bit deep, thats probably why even with their flap door closed when they go in, litter scats out when they scratch at it. Amber is sooooo enthusiastic when scratching & digging her litter

A "litter" bin is a good idea, i must look into that. Save the bags of litter lying about in the utility room.

Ive used Cats Best but Tim wasnt keen in it & both refused to use wood pellets which is odd as the sanctuary used them! - They have me well trained

Thanks for the input folk