Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #11

Re: Front leg amputation of our dear little puss

Hi Lyndel and welcome to Catsey.

When I first looked at this thread, I am afraid I couldn't read it through but have managed to second time round. You are so positive and upbeat I am sure that Bella will have the best possible quality of life after she has recovered from her op.

Your decision to build an outside safe run for your cats sounds very much like the best option. Several people here have done the same thing and if you use the Search option you will be able to track the relevant threads.

Please give Bella a gentle cuddle from me and my little rescue cat Kizzy. I do wish her a whole bundle of grit and determination to add to her undoubted courage - and your's and your family's too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #12

Welcome to Catsey, just sorry it was under such traumatic circumstances. So pleased kitty is doing well, I think they adjust much quicker than many of us humans do and it isnt us who lost a limb, atleast I certainly hope not.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
01-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #13

Hello & Welcome Lyn!!!

I know this is a horrible shock and I know the sense that you feel you have somehow failed poor Bella for letting her escape, getting attacked & then not finding her immediately... but don't!!!!

Accidents happen and at least you are rectifying the problem by building a cat run, something I would do if I didn't live in a 3rd floor flat!!?

Now... cats adapt brilliantly to losing limbs, far better & quicker than us poxy humans!! They don't whallow in the self pity stage and meander through a whole list of if's and buts they just get on and deal with it!!

Not quite the same but when I chopped off RigbyBigBears willie and he had 28 stitches right up his bottom!!! He recovered in a day was home and ruling with a claw of iron within 48hrs and not once did I hear any whinging about losing his 'cathood'.... He is the same fab, chilled dominant male he was before however he can now pee without constant blockages... although he does pee like a girl now but I don't think anyone has noticed

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #14

Hi, Lyndel, and welcome; sorry your introduction was on such a sad note, but wonderful that little Bella has come thru the op so well and is home with you. Cats do cope amazingly well with the loss of a limb as others have said. Do post some pics of her when you can; would love to see her. Do please keep us posted how she's doing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
01-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #15

Hi Lyndel, glad to hear bella is doing so well.
We had a cat who lost his back leg. Sadly his owners were less caring than you and had decided to PTS, until the vets asked if we would take him. WE collected him the day after his op, and I have to say I was quite shocked at the swelling, but he recovered really well. iI took him a good couple of months to get fit and build up muscle, but after that he went out hunting and could keep up with all the other cats,the only thing he couldn't do was sit up on his back leg.
I would just say keep an eye on his pain relief, as once it wears of they can get pretty sore, but the stitches come out after 12 days and they are off, recovery is actually quicker than a leg break.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
01-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #16

Hi Lyndel

Welcome to Catsey.

So sorry to hear about Bella's broken leg and amputation. I think cats adjust very well to disability. We have a disabled cat and he manages very well. Fantastic news that Bella is doing so well. Please give her a gentle hug from me. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
01-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #17

Hi Lyndel,
How is our little Bella doing today, is she still doing well.
Do let us know please Pauline Xxx.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
02-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #18

Hi Lyndal,
Glad to hear that Bella has come through her surgery and is home with you.. My cat Tinky Winky had a rear leg amputation earlier this year due to a cancerous tumour.. his wound was healing very well but he passed away due to a blood clot a week after his surgery.
One of the main things that you need to do with Bella during her recovery is to keep her quiet and encourage her to rest... of course she will want to get up and walk around and get used to getting around on 3 legs... but she has had major surgery and the wound will probably under some tension with quite a few layers of stitching which needs to mend without breaking down just keep an eye on it for any swelling, redness or discharge..
Hope she continues to thrive and heals without any complications

Jo

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
02-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #19

Hi Lyndal,
welcome to Catsey! So sorry to hear about Bella but relieved to hear she is full steam ahead. Hope she continues to come on in leaps and bounds (literally) Keep us updated! Jan x