Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #1

Just had to share this!

Probably most of you on here don't go to church very often or are particularly religious, but I hope you don't mind me sharing this. It was my churchs 40th anniversary today and we've been building up to it for months now, so I was quite disappointed to attend the service this morning and find it only slightly busier than usual. The minister taking the service did say more would be coming for the 3pm service as most were attending their own church in the morning. Well, I'm just back from the 3pm service, and I actually had tears in my eyes. The church was filled to bursting!!! There were people standing at the back and others sitting in chairs in the hallway. It was one of the most amazing sights I've seen in a long time! And when the singing started I actually had shivers down my spine, it sounded amazing! I wish it could be like that every week , but that was a sight and sound that will live with me for a very long time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
06-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #2

Re: Just had to share this!

Something you will not forget in a long time, or even at all !

I went to a "happy clappy" church about a few months back, my partner calls it that, not me mind! and I have to say I came home really buzzing, it certainly lifted my spirits up, unfortunately, I have not returned, no one would come back with me, and didnt want to face it alone - if you understand.

I really am glad you have had a good day x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #3

I'm so pleased your church had a full house this afternoon Alex. Unfortunately attending church on a Sunday no longer rates high on the list for the majority of people these days. When I was younger almost all children attended Sunday School and church seemed to follow on naturally. Sadly a Sunday is no longer a 'special' day in the week. The shops and stores are open, entertainment centres are open, car boot sales etc. etc............ they all seem to have drawn people away from what was a special day.

I'm glad today's attendance made such an impact on you and it was something you will always remember........ it is a completely different atmosphere isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #4

That is a lovely and moving experience for you Alex. I used to be a regular church-goer when younger, and I can remember the 'shiver' that you got when the whole congregation was singing. A Polish midnight mass on Christmas Eve still does that to me . . . even thinking about it does!

Come to that, I was in our town-centre park Easter before this one and I could here a mass going on and the singing of hymns I knew there, brought a lump to my throat. I almost dragged Dominik in, but thought that would be too hyporitical on my part.

I'm so happy your church was filled to bursting on its special day - and maybe some of the people were suitably moved to attend regularly?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #5

I'm so pleased that today's celebrations were so successful Alex

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #6

How wonderful that there was such great attendance at the 3pm service...it must have been very moving for you and all concerned, and I'm sure the Pastor was delighted at the turnout!

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #7

Thank you all for your lovely comments. What was nice about both services Eileen, was that they had invited previuos ministers to conduct the services, so there were 6 actually preaching. It was wonderful!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #8

You'll remember this for a long time, Alex! Obviously it must have been really heartwarming! I was raised Catholic, but have been lapsed for many years.......problems with a lot of the beliefs...

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #9

I think we who have been raised Protestant find attending church a bit easier Eileen. There's not all the guilt issues that a lot of Catholics feel. I have quite a few friends who are Catholic, and haven't been to mass or confession in years and still feel guilty every time they pass a church!! I like the more easy going 'style' lol, of the methodist church I attend. It is very like the Church of Scotland I was raised in. I am the youngest adult there however, so sometimes feel a little out of place, but I do enjoy the company.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
06-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #10

im pleased that the celebration went well today alex