Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #11

Re: Darcy dances with Darcy

I wonder - does he think there is another cat, or does he know it's himself? I think recognising oneself in a mirror is a fairly advanced brain function (may be completely wrong there!)

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
17-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #12

I've seen videos of cats attacking their reflection, so they must think it's another cat... (these being random youtube videos, I've never seen Darcy do this). Maybe Darcy is confused by the fact that there's a space of ground in the mirror that he thinks is real and he's trying to get there? He is veryinquisitive and if we ever bring a new box or item into the flat he'll explore it for 10 minutes with full-purr on. And if I open one of the cupboard doors just for him (a special treat), he'll again purr for a good 10 minutes exploring every nook and cranny.

It is an interesting concept, as I do agree it is an advanced brain fuction. Both cats always sit in front of the mirror if they're ever in that room - I know cats are attracted to light, so maybe they like the light reflections too?

Either way, it is just so cute!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
18-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #13

That is an absolutely brilliant video!!!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
18-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #14

Thanks Lorna Darcy's sitting right beside me just now so I just passed on the compliment and he gave some slow-eye-blink love back

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
18-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #15

LOL! That's fab!